05 | Surprises

I'D DECIDED TO walk home today

I couldn't bare the thought of spending forty-five minutes on a bus full of loud secondary students. It just wasn't my setting. My home was far, yes, but anything was better than getting shoved onto a hot bus at that moment.

Sure, my legs hurt badly and my shoulders ached with the weight of my heavy backpack, but at least I was saving money on my bus card. That small card alone cost twenty-five dollars, and adding money was even more. So, in a way, I'd been saving money.

And if I weren't, well, at least I was getting exercise.

As I'd crossed the street, passing by the busy stores and the passing cars, I neared a quiet neighborhood. It looked just like mine, though the trees were larger and the homes were smaller. Dogs barked and birds chirped outside, which brought a pleasant smile to my face as the cool wind blew.

A group of small children played on their front lawn, their white uniform shirts coated with grass stains. I stifled a laugh, knowing they'd be receiving an earful from their mothers soon enough. Their red ball had rolled onto the road a few steps ahead, and I raced over, giving it a light kick to get it back to the children.

They thanked me, and I gave them a small smile in return, continuing on with my walk. A part of me envied those kids. I envied their carelessness, the wide, bright smiles on their faces. I envied how they were able to live their life without caring about what clothes they had to wear, or not having to worry about what Mother Mathematics had in store for them.

But a part of me was also happy for them. I was happy that they were able to enjoy their life as it was at the moment. I was happy they were able to make it throughout the day with bright smiles, and return home the same. I was happy that their happiness shielded them from what the world had in store for them later on, even if it was for a very short while.

I'd turned the corner, whistling a low tune to myself. The warm sun was shining down on me, making me sweaty in my school sweater. I shouldn't be wearing this sweater again, was what I was able to think of at the moment.

Not the quiet sobs I'd heard from a few feet away. Not the familiar figure I'd seen, hunched over on their front steps once I'd finally raised my head. Not the wavy hairstyle you'd always liked to call 'finger waves' - whatever the hell that was - shining in the sunlight. And definitely not the weary, red eyes that looked up at me in sorrow when my footsteps suddenly came to a halt.

"Oh, M-Mabel..." I began, taking cautious steps toward you. Slowly, I enveloped you in a brief hug, hoping your tears would magically disappear. It felt weird. It'd been ten seconds and you hadn't pushed me aw--

"Jacob, please don't touch me," you whispered, pushing yourself away from my embrace. Ah, there it was. You quickly stood up, staring down at me with eyes full of regret. "I'm sorry," you'd muttered over your shoulder before disappearing into the quaint house.

Though what were you sorry for?

₪₪₪₪₪