18 | Letters to Mabel

IT WAS HARD to believe that you were gone

IT WAS HARD to believe that you were gone. You were... no longer with us. I thought of it as a rather permanent vacation. You were never going to return, that I was certain.

Your mother had cried so hard that day, I'd never seen someone so heartbroken. She didn't speak to me for her attention was drawn to the faded lights of the ambulance. The wailing of the siren had softened with every passing second, and I hoped it was all somehow a dream.

"Mrs. Clark..." I'd whispered, my own eyes filling up with unshed tears. "That-that was Mabel, yes?" My voice was quiet, powerless. Your mother nodded, sinking onto the steps. She broke down for the second time that day, I couldn't comfort her. I could barely understand what had happened.

I'd later found out that you'd passed away. I couldn't remember how - I didn't want to. I was heavy with the weight of missing you, I couldn't bear it. You'd written me a letter, your father had told me years later. It was short, but sweet. Sincere. Apologetic.

It was only written the week before you'd died.

I cried again when your father handed me the letter, telling me who it was addressed to. I didn't quite understand, but I still took it. That night, I read it under the faint light of my lamp. It seemed as if it were staring at me all that day, I couldn't put off reading it any longer.

I'd unfolded the paper and was met with your familiar handwriting. It brought a small smile to my face.

"These are the things I should have never left unsaid;" the letter read.

"My life had never been so broken. Before the day my heart shattered to pieces, I was always happy. I smiled often, I was closer to my parents. I had friends that cared for me deeply and I loved that. It was pleasant, I never expected it to end so suddenly.

I moved here to Montréal because my family and I were told that there would be someone who would better assist my... condition. My parents agreed, and we moved a month later. November 15th, the day I began school - the day I met you.

I didn't like people very much for a reason that will forever remain unknown to me. The school was large, everyone was too loud and too... people-y. The classes were long and tiring, I couldn't bear through them.

I met you during our third period; math. When the teacher had introduced me, the whole class had stared as I quietly presented myself. I sat down beside you, unaware of the danger our teacher had put me in. You were annoying.

You didn't know how to shut your mouth, and I found it tempting with every passing day to slap you upside the head with my math binder. But, strangely, the feeling passed by. I didn't know how it happened, but we became friends.

Somehow, someday, I grew a feeling for you. It was a good one, don't worry. Though I didn't understand how in the world I did, but I did. I don't regret it. You made me smile when I found it hard to.

Your kisses felt like magic. When we held hands, I couldn't explain the feeling I was feeling then. It was as if something had exploded inside of me. It felt like a sudden rush of anxiety, but I couldn't understand why it was that way.

I told you about my condition after you kind of figured it out yourself. You surprisingly took it well, I couldn't believe my eyes and ears. In that moment, I considered myself lucky. That luck didn't last very long.

One day, one fateful day, my parents found out that I didn't have much longer to be here. My mother cried hard and I was surprised when my father did, too. I didn't cry.

I couldn't bring myself to tell you, I didn't want to know what it looked like if you cried too.

I'll keep it a secret for as long as needed. But please, take care of yourself. I love you. I'm glad I fell for you.

Long live all the magic we made, Jacob."

"It's really been a year, hasn't it?" I'd whispered to myself, my shoulders shaking with quiet sobs. "You couldn't have broken my heart any more?" I asked. With a shake of my head, I folded the letter, setting it on my nightstand.

I let out an exhausted sigh, reaching into my drawer and pulling out a small notebook. Your name was strewn across the cover in those familiar bold letters. My fingers brushed across your name, a nostalgic feeling settling down into my stomach.

I began flipping through the pages, pausing at each sheet that was filled with my writing of memories of you. I smiled at each one, feeling my throat tighten when I reached the last page. I grabbed a pencil.

"It wasn't very hard to fall for you, Mabel," I read aloud as I wrote. "I'm very glad I did, too. Though you weren't here for very long, you still brought me immense joy. I'm going to miss you. Forever and always."

I sniffed quietly, shutting the notebook and setting it aside.

"Oh, Mabel Clark. I love you."

₪₪₪₪₪

And this concludes the short-story of Oh, Mabel Clark!

I'd like to sincerely apologize to everyone who read the first version of this book. I'm sorry, I didn't know what I was thinking. I don't know why anyone let me near the computer.

(VampireTurtle1664, why didn't you slap me? You saw me typing up that monstrosity and you let me continue?)

But, yeah, this concludes the book. Thank you all for sticking around and making it this far, I have respect for you. I wouldn't trust another book written by me.

Though I now wish you all a good day. Stay safe, don't do drugs and drink your milk.

~ Fondre