10 | Abruptness

EACH PASSING DAY brought me excitement

EACH PASSING DAY brought me excitement. Excitement for a new beginning, new surprises, and possibly new events. Lunch was the time I looked forward to every day.

Our scenery had changed drastically. From crowded cafeterias full of noisy students to the quiet, chilly breeze of the outdoors. You'd seemed to like it, Mabel. You didn't eat with your head down nor did you look around warily.

Our conversations flowed beautifully and I never had to worry about you shutting down on me. Your eyes had danced about, gazing up at the swaying trees in awe. From time to time, you'd play a bit of music from your phone, humming along quietly as you munched on your lunch.

Your lips always held a delighted smile and so did mine. You grew more talkative and comfortable around me each day, which surprised me. You'd go on and on, Mabel, and I enjoyed every part of it.

Though today you were a bit off. You were unusually quiet and your mood was different from a day ago. You stared off into the distance at nothing in particular, munching on a straw from your drink while you gazed down at the quiet river below us.

I couldn't stop staring and a question soon came spilling out of my mouth before I had time to stop it. "What's gotten your attention?" I'd asked with a shy smile. In a flash, your eyes met mine and you looked away once more.

"It's nothing, really," you'd paused to clear your throat, "I was just wondering... do you ever wonder if people actually care about you?" Your voice shook as you spoke.

The question confused me, I'd never expected to hear that. I'd always assumed you were easily able to make friends with your gentle smile and quiet voice. I frowned, completely stuck.

"I... I don't know, Mabel. I'm sorry I'm not able to--"

"Ah, no. Sorry, just... just forget it," you muttered, slapping a hand over your forehead. "That was sudden and uncalled for, I didn't expect you to have an answer on the spot."

You'd turned back around, your cheeks flushed and your head down. "Come on," you muttered over your shoulder with an apologetic smile.

I'd followed after you, watching the way your shoulders slumped and the way you let out a long sigh as you walked back to the wooden bench we shared our lunch on.

I wish I'd had the answer for you then.

₪₪₪₪₪