03 | Karma

TODAY HAD BEEN no different

Trudge into the classroom, sit down at our assigned seats, slide out our books, and begin working. The stolen glances, hidden smiles, and the sound of your mechanical pencil scribbling against the worksheet were all the same.

I turned my attention to my classwork, but stopped dead in my tracks. My eyes widened and I frantically looked around the classroom, silently hoping that everyone else was seeing the same thing as me.

When did we learn this? My only question. I should've focused on my grades more, Mabel. I should've done my homework and raised my hand to ask questions when I had the chance to instead of daydreaming.

And now Mother Mathematics came back to shove a protractor up my ass, demanding answers to equations without the use of a calculator.

I was lost, I-I didn't know what to do. Asking the teacher for help would result in a lecture, questioning a classmate for help would result in a glare, and staring at you would result in nothing - but so would minding my own business.

So I stared. I didn't bother making it discreet, I was already in trouble for leaving my work incompleted. Why not add fuel to the fire? Surely my parents wouldn't mind if I got in a tiny bit more trouble, would they? And even if they did, frankly, I wouldn't have cared.

Yes, yes I would've.

I hadn't realized I'd been staring straight into your eyes until your quiet voice had interrupted me. I blinked once, then twice until I was finally able to focus on your baffled expression.

"Y-you're staring," you'd informed me as your eyes frantically looked back at the teachers desk. You didn't want to get caught at the time is what I assumed, but I was wrong.

"What's not to stare about?" I responded, then went completely silent. What had I said? The words had just tumbled out of my mouth, I couldn't stop it. I looked back at you, opening my mouth to apologize quickly.

"Madame, Jacob won't let me do my work!" You blurted, raising a hand up high.

Snitch.

Students heads turned, Madame Colette's head snapped up, and I felt betrayed. With cheeks tinted a faint shade of pink, I ducked my head down, trying with great difficulty to understand the lesson.

Maybe staring at you resulted in something after all.

₪₪₪₪₪