08 | Persistence

DAYS HAD PASSED

DAYS HAD PASSED. Things had seemed to be normal between us ever since our little encounter.

I'd still get nervous around you when I sat down during class, thinking you'd ignore me the whole period or ask to move your seat. Though I always felt relieved when you continued on with your work, not paying any mind to the red-faced boy beside you.

That was fine, at least. I was happy to see that things had returned to normal. I was waiting for a breaking point though - there was always one. I hadn't known when or where it would happen, but something told me that things wouldn't be like this for too long.

The short sound of the bell rang and students ran out and into the halls. For once, I rushed to pack up my things. I shoved my calculator into my pencil pouch, stuffed my pencils in my pockets and snapped my binder rings shut.

I wanted to get out of the classroom before you, though I'm not sure if you would've noticed if I did. Something in me wanted to speak to you again, even if there was the possible chance of you walking away from me.

Alas, I decided to look on the brighter side of things. What was the use of jumping to conclusions if I never tried in the first place? That was like trying to fit a whole burger into your mouth - what was the use in doubting yourself if you never tried?

I'd stepped out of the classroom after wishing the teacher a good day and quickly hurried through the hallway, stopping a few paces before the exit. I placed my binder on the floor, bending down to untie my shoelaces and slowly redo them once more.

Soon after, I heard footsteps behind me as I finished the knot. I suppressed the smile on my face as I raised my head to meet your wavering gaze, gathering my belongings and standing up.

"Oh, hey," I'd smiled at you. My face had probably been flushed, I didn't know at the time but I felt it.

You'd replied with a small hi, your gaze falling to the ground. I, too, looked away, a hand raising up to my mouth to hide the giddy smile fighting to make its way onto my face.

A few moments passed and I'd finally asked the question that had been on the tip of my tongue for a while now. "Ah, Mabel... would you like to have lunch together?"

Your eyes had widened a bit and I swore I saw the faintest shade of red on your cheeks. Your head had done the slightest of shakes and I quickly felt my heart sink as you stood there silently.

"Y-yes, sorry. I don't know why I didn't respond earlier," you stammered, taking a step forward and pushing through the doors. I'd quickly followed behind you, staring blankly ahead of me as my ears struggled to register what they'd just heard.

I couldn't contain my excitement at lunch that day. And, Mabel, I noticed you couldn't too.

₪₪₪₪₪