06 | Mind Your Business

DAYS HAD GONE by since our last encounter

DAYS HAD GONE by since our last encounter. I didn't have the courage to speak to you about it, at the time. I kept putting it off, telling myself that the matter would be settled at any time.

We rarely spoke to each other after the incident. I'd tried greeting you on several occasions yet you'd always replied with a quiet mumble. What had I done? Was it my fault I'd found you at the wrong time, Mabel?

You acted as if I'd killed your dog. You wouldn't meet my gaze, you glared at me from afar, and you always had this angry frown tugging on your lips whenever I slid into my seat during third period.

I sent you small, apologetic smiles and even went to the trouble of writing you a small poem one morning. But the only reaction I got was the view of you throwing the paper away in the recycling bin after you'd sat there for a moment.

To say I was utterly heartbroken was such an understatement, Mabel. I was crushed. It was like you'd stepped on my heart repeatedly. I felt tears stinging my eyes at the sudden rejection but I'd pushed them away, turning to face the whiteboard once more.

I never thought I'd be tearing up over you, it had only been three months since your arrival! I surprised myself. I never would've guessed I'd be upset with this. Bah, who would've thought I'd actually get a smile out of that? You barely ever looked at me.

The looks we held were only filled with emptiness and confusion. I couldn't ever get a word out of you. You frustrated me. I hadn't seen us ever being friends, Mabel. I couldn't, not at all. But, alas, I found my thoughts wandering off to the future.

How would it be like? Would you still be here with me? These thoughts constantly flooded my mind throughout our classes, I didn't have it in me to focus. I just couldn't wait for lunch to roll around, I'd been starving and was looking for an excuse to finally talk to you again.

The bell had finally rung, to my relief. Our classmates had hurried to pack up their things and rush out of the classroom, through the hallway, and down the stairs while I'd taken my time. What was the use in rushing? We had an hour and thirty minutes a day to eat lunch, which was more than I could ask for.

I'd finally gathered my things, waving goodbye to the teacher and stepping out of the room. The halls were bare, only a few lingering students shuffling past. Though someone had gotten my attention, someone who walked with their head down and their shoulders slouched, someone whose steps were so quiet.

And that someone was you, Mabel. I hadn't really been surprised, you always took your time getting to your destination - it was one of those things about you. I couldn't help but walk up behind you, tapping lightly on your shoulder once again.

Something inside of me rumbled. I didn't know if it was my stomach growling, or the butterflies that'd suddenly erupted. All I knew was that it wouldn't be going away – at least until I'd eaten.

"M-Mabel," I stammered quietly.

It took you a second to respond but you did. "Yes, Jacob? What do you want?" You'd asked quietly. "I don't feel like speaking right now."

"I found you crying the other day. Is everything okay?"

You shuffled your feet, your cheeks glowing a bright red. You looked guilty as you bit your bottom lip and shook your head. "It's nothing, Jacob. Please don't try to butt your head into my business," you told me.

I tried to do just that, but I could never take my mind off of you.

₪₪₪₪₪