11 | Secrets

YOU WEREN'T HERE on Thursday

YOU WEREN'T HERE on Thursday. Where did you go, Mabel? My mind was always abuzz with thoughts of you and I couldn't seem to stop it. I couldn't complete my work and frequently missed the questions answered in class.

Lunch was lonely. I didn't have anyone to talk to though it was always like this before you came. I hadn't imagined feeling like this again, it was saddening. I watched as a bird flew into the nearby tree and the leaves that fell to the ground.

A sigh escaped my lips and I rested my head against the tree bark, letting my eyes flutter closed as the cool wind blew. I hummed a tune, smiling to myself at how great my voice sounded. You'd always call me conceited whenever I complimented myself on my singing, though I'd always laugh it off.

You'd tried singing once... and never again. I tried to encourage you on several occasions, urging you to sing to me after I'd heard you humming along to a song you'd shown me. Eventually, one day, you'd given in, and finally let out your voice.

It was... frightening, and you knew it to, Mabel. My eyes had widened and I'd stifled a laugh, clearing my throat as I motioned for you to go on. You'd hidden your face in your hands, bursting out into laughter as the song paused.

"S-stop laughing," you demanded between giggles. "It's not funny. You know I can't sing and I told you that several times. I don't know why you're laughing," you had tried to say with a straight face.

"I know, but I just wasn't expecting that," I wheezed, putting a hand over my mouth to stifle my laughs.

I laughed aloud at the memory, smiling contently at the way your cheeks flushed and the small pout that tugged on your lips. I felt around the ground for nothing in particular and I felt my brows furrow in confusion once my fingers grazed upon a cool fabric.

I'd looked down, my eyes widening a moment as I stared down at the little notebook you always wrote in. The large, bold letters of your name on the cover stared back at me and I felt my lips tug into a smile at the thought of you sitting here, writing away while the wind blew.

I bit down on my lip, contemplating on respecting your privacy, or going ahead with just a quick peek. I didn't want to see anything that wasn't meant to be read – reading just one page seemed like a great idea.

With a racing heart, I slowly opened up the leather cover and began flipping through the pages. I looked around warily, expecting you to jump out of the bushes with an accusing finger, shouting, "Don't touch my notebook, Jacob!"

I continued flipping, pausing to admire the small doodles you'd drawn across several pages. Hah, you couldn't sing but you sure could draw.

I resumed turning the pages, stopping abruptly once I caught sight of my name.

I held the notebook before me, tilting my head to the side in confusion. Why was my name in this? You'd most likely written something about how annoying I was, or how you just couldn't stand me, or how much I irritated you everyday.

I grinned at the thought – I wouldn't be surprised if you did. I began to read, my breath hitching at the next few sentences.

"Sometimes I can't stand Jacob. Gah, I don't like that damn boy. But other times, well, he makes my heart beat so quickly. He makes my cheeks heat up and makes my hands sweat. I can safely say... I've fallen for that irritating boy. He's made me smile so many times after I began hanging out with him during lunch. He's the only one that has made an effort in getting to know me in class, which I'm grateful for. And for that, I'll remember him."

I'd leaned against the tree trunk in shock, my eyes wider than before and my heart feeling as if it were running on a treadmill. I glanced down at the page, straining my eyes to read the last line. I wish I hadn't.

"I can't believe I'll be gone soon. Stage IV Leukemia sucks – I'll never get my happily ever after."

₪₪₪₪₪