09 | Meanings

DISMISSAL WAS FINALLY here

DISMISSAL WAS FINALLY here. I didn't know why I was so excited for the end of the day this particular Wednesday. Normally, I would hurry down to my locker and shove my things into my school bag before slipping into the crowd of schoolkids and out of the building.

But that afternoon, I chose to walk out with you. I didn't know what was wrong with me. Did I eat something that messed with my head? Maybe something had been wrong with you... you weren't complaining at all as I trailed after you down the hallway.

Half of me expected you to swerve around, throwing your hands up into the air as you shouted at me angrily to leave you alone. The other half hoped you would smile and laugh the way you did the first time we had lunch together.

But you didn't do anything, you really didn't! Was I supposed to be thankful or worried for you? A reaction would've been nice, whether it be negative or positive. Your mind had seemed occupied that day but I didn't pry into it.

Getting to know you was like walking on thin ice - one wrong question and I'd fall through, into the cold water below. I, myself, was not like that. Any question you asked, I'd answer. I didn't hesitate to, there was no reason to take my time to answer. I wanted you to know anything and everything.

Was that weird? I'd always forget to ask you.

We both walked through the street, letting the sound of rolling tires and loud conversations fill the silence between us. I opened my mouth several times to start up a conversation, but always came up empty.

"Do you mind if we go hang out somewhere before we go home?" I'd asked. My breath was held for some unknown reason, I wasn't expecting an immediate answer.

To my surprise, you answered, even though it was just a simple nod. I took that as my cue to step forward, leading the way to a park I'd found a few weeks ago.

"Honestly, Jacob, if you're trying to impress me, you've failed. I come here all the time," you told me once we'd arrived. Your tone had been serious, but your face held a large smile. "Though the scenery never ceases to amaze me."

"What? How'd you find out about this park?" I'd asked as we sat down near a rusty bridge surrounded by beautiful cherry blossoms.

"It's... literally a public park. People come here all the time," You deadpanned and soon placed a comforting hand on my shoulder as you saw my face fall. "At least you tried."

I laughed loudly, noticing the way you suddenly jumped up.

"Dammit, boy. You scared the life out of me." My laugh seemed to shock you, as it was sudden and unfortunately loud. You never joked with me so much, I couldn't help but express it in any other way.

Eventually, you joined in on my obnoxious laughter, shaking my shoulder to try and calm me down as you suppressed your giggles. The ruckus had died down, leaving us gazing out at the pink petals that littered the ground.

"I'm glad you came out here to spend time with me, Mabel. It means a lot, really."

"Eh, well, I'm glad I could make it," you sighed and turned to shoot me a smile, a genuine one, but I felt like your words held some other meaning.

I shook the feeling off.

₪₪₪₪₪