chapter 9

chapter 9,

"chin up, shortie. smile a little."

after a long walk of bickering and childish pushing, we finally arrived at the café we were going to meet this girl at

for some reason, i felt extremely nervous, as if i really were his girlfriend he was going to show to his ex.

"chin up, shortie. smile a little," seongwoo whispers to me as he grabs my hand, making his way ahead of me to a table.

i breathed in and out a few times before forcing a smile in front of this girl who seemed to have hearts coming out of her eyes as soon as she laid them on seongwoo.

but her brows narrowed as soon as she locked gazes with me.

"sorry we're late, soeun, did you wait long?" he asks nicely as we take a seat in front of her, his fingers still interlocked with mine, on the table.

she scoffs, "you're still being nice when you broke up with me?"

seongwoo chuckles as he shrugs, "i can be mean if you want, i agreed coming here, you should be grateful," he voice gets softer with each word, even slowly leaned towards her at the same time, as if warning her not to do anything that would make him anger.

she scanned me from head to toe, "so, she's your girlfriend?"

"yes, pretty right? funny because she didn't use as much make up as compared to you," he says lazily as he props his chin on his palm, tilting his head, easily making her flinch.

she breaths out heavily, "you've got weird taste, ong seongwoo."

"mhmm," he hums in reply, "that's why i dated you too."

she narrowed her eyebrows at him, definitely wavering and falling into his trap.

"so, what's your name? what do you do?" she looks over to me, that judge-y face still hanging on her make up caked face.

i wonder if she had eyebrows, they look like caterpillars.

before i could open my mouth to answer her, seongwoo did so on my behalf, "she studied english literature in our college, she has a lot of talents; cooking, sports, oh yes, she's extremely good at badminton."

"uh, badminton, yes, badminton," i followed after.

seongwoo smiles charmingly at me before turning back to her, "soeun, i've known you for almost a month but i still don't know what you're good at besides whining, really."

she slaps her hand on the table, making me jump in my seat, heads turning towards us, "you're too much, ong seongwoo! i'm sure you picked her randomly from the sea of girls around you anyways!"

he remains calm, raising her eyebrows, "oh, really?"

he turns back to me, swiftly claiming my lips before turning back to her, "believe me now?"

okay, jung haein, don't react now, just keep your act and your poker face together, god, please don't cry until this soeun girl leaves.

admits my loud inner cries, i could only feel seongwoo's hand still on mine, giving them a light squeeze, as if trying to apologise and reassure me without words.

somehow, it worked.