chapter 10

chapter 10,

"lemon ice cream, shortie?"

that was more than enough to chase soeun out the door and i immediately let out the long sigh i was holding in

"hey, i-i'm so sorry," seongwoo scans my expression, probably waiting for me to yell at him and yank his hair while calling him an idiot.

i shake my head silently, picking up my phone by the side of the table, "i just want to get back now, can we?"

he shuffles next to me as i got off my seat, walking ahead of him till i felt him push me the other direction.

"i'm really sorry, alright, i'll go get ice cream as i promised," without even letting me agree, he pulls me along to the park by the corner where there's an ice cream truck that's very popular amongst the children in the area.

i could tell seongwoo was extremely troubled by what he did to me, probably still absorbed by the idea what i want to rip his head off but really, it isn't.

it's about, things he never knew happened.

"lemon ice cream, shortie?"

i nod, he quickly turns around towards the truck.

i took a seat on a bench under tree, seongwoo already getting ice cream cones in his head.

it's funny how he's always the one paying for it since we were little but he never complained. maybe somethings really don't change. and i like it this way.

it's nice.

"here," he passes me the cone, i gave him a small smile before taking it from his hands.

"are you angry at me?" he asks quietly, neither of us eating the ice cream. 

i met his eyes, it's been quite some time since i've met gazes with his sincere gaze. too long that i've almost forgotten how they look like.

"no, it's just other stuff. don't worry," i said softly, almost in a whisper.

he finally heaves a sigh of relief, taking a bite out of ice cream. gosh, he doesn't know how to savour it.

"did a lot happen while i was gone? you know, the twelve years i was gone for..."

"of course, i celebrated twelve years of birthdays without your dumb gifts."

"excuse me?"

"you wrapped a rock in newspaper. and you gave that to me for my fourth to my seventh birthday."

he rubs his nape, embarrassed, laughing awkwardly, "well, at least i got you something. you were my only friend, anyways."

i smile a little, the best moments we experience in life is really when we haven't learnt to appreciate them. they're some of the most beautiful times of our lives too.

just before i could try the ice cream, i caught sight of a little kid dragging a boy behind him, "hyung, i really, really, really want ice cream!"

"mian, i didn't bring change with me, you said you just wanted to come to the playground!"

i got up and walked over to the duo, passing my ice cream over to the younger boy, "here, have mine, i haven't had it yet, you can have it."

before he could take it from my hands, the older boy gently pushed it back to me, "oh, it's alright, we have ice cream at home, it's really not necessary."

"hyung, you finished the last tub of ben and jerry's last night—" the little boy was unable to continue as the older boy with a very deep voice chuckled nervously and held his hand over whom i suppose is his younger brother.

i smile, "it's fine, really. the ice cream's really good. i need to lose some weight anyways," recalling how seongwoo called me a glutton a couple days back.

geez.

the younger one thanked me as he took the ice cream from my hands.

"you? lose weight? what for?" the guy looked surprised as he looked me from head to toe.

"just slightly, really."

"you look fine in my eyes," he shrugs, "anyways, i'm yoon dowoon," he lifts his hand for a handshake, "you can call me dowoon."