Chapter ~ 11

Lessons || Gabriel Lewis

Driving a car, something I've done once before, it was when we still had our old station wagon, dad allowed me to sit on his lap and I could steer the car around the block. That was seven years ago. Six years ago money became tight, Mum was pregnant with the twins so the car was the first thing to go, to give us a bit of spare change to get ready for the new arrivals.

That old rust bucket would probably be worth a grand if your lucky, now I'm in the drivers seat of a BMW that is worth more then my old house and education put together.

So you can imagine, I was anything but calm and collected. I was sweating bullets and gripping the steering wheel like it was my life line so they wouldn't shake. "Don't worry so much, all you have to worry about is your foot and steering" Jaxon said leaning back in the seat, his hand on the hand brake.

"Is your foot on the brake?" Jaxon asked, I looked at him with a blank stare, "middle pedal, right foot" he added. I nodded, "good now press the start button and the car will turn on"

I pressed the button, the dash board flashing with lights before the all screens loaded and turned on. "See your already half way there. Now put the car in drive" he said pointing to the joy stick with letters lit up beside it. Why do I feel like London right now?

"Now, I'm going to lower the handbrake. Keep your foot on the brake. The car won't move. Alright" Jaxon said lowering the lever, keeping hold of it as he instructed to lift my foot off the brake slowly.

Me being the nervous wreak lifted my foot a bit to quickly making the car go forward at a quicker pace then I was expecting. In a panic my hands left the steering wheel to my chest. Jaxon pulled the hand brake on, making the car come to a sudden stop.

"Nope. I can't. I can't do it, I'm going to crash and destroy your expensive car. Nope not happening" I rambled, shaking my head, I tried and it's not for me. Not today. "Are you finished?" Jaxon said laughing, his deep melodic laugh echoing through the car. I pouted, nodding my head.

"Firstly, You hardly went two miles an hour, which you can walk faster then that. Secondly, never let go of the steering wheel" Jaxon said grabbing my hands and bringing them to the steering wheel once again.

"Now you did fine. So let's go again, slowly with the brake this time." He ordered softly leaving no room for my protests. I huffed placing the money pit in drive once more and doing it again, this time slowly.

I don't know where Jaxon's patience's came from because he definitely didn't have it in school. His voice stayed soft, not a drop of annoyance, as he repeated the same few steps over and over, no mater how many times I stuffed up and pulled my hands away from the wheel, he just gripped them put them back and start again.

Surprisingly, within an hour, I was driving,
I dare say, confidently around the car park, a grin plastered on my lips as I drove. I wasn't going fast by any means but I was driving. By my self.

Jaxon took over,  driving us into town, mentioning we needed a few things from the shops. We parked at the local mall, that had a few shops and cafes. Jaxon's mother Holly was babysitting the twins for us, allowing me to have some much needed time to my self, something I haven't been able to do for years. I almost felt weird not having my siblings by my side.

Dragging me to a small coffee shop, for a drink and some food. "Have you made up your mind about your father?" Jaxon asked, leaning forward on the table, placing his car keys, phone and wallet in front of him.