Chapter 30: Second-In-Command

Friday was a mess for both Serene and Nicolas. Nick got a surprise visit from both Victoria and his father and was given information in a matter of minutes while Serene was driven to a pit of confusion about whether he should be angry with his boss or understanding. Although it was obvious that the information was a bit last minute, the two didn't say anything about it.

Seven didn't know what to think about the situation. He was angry because he knew where Nick's heart stood, but at the same time, he hated the fact that Nick couldn't stand up for himself - for what he loved.

It was Saturday morning and Serene stood silently, his hands behind his back, watching Joseph say his goodbyes to his son. Nicolas and Victoria were preparing to fly out for their planned vacation.

Seven held Nicolas's suitcase, standing next to Marcel. He kept his chin high, showing no sign of unprofessionalism. Even though he was confused and bitter inside, he couldn't interfere with such a matter.

When Marcel heard about Nicolas leaving, he knew there was a possibility of something going wrong and he didn't want the last interaction with the CEO to be an argument. Victoria grinned at the chairman, letting Nicolas walk towards his two friends.

Marcel stood straight, looking at Nick, "Have fun on your vacation," he uttered. Nicolas nodded holding out a hand. Marcel held his chin high, clutching his hand, pulling him into a hug, "I'm sorry for my stupidity the last time we talked," Marcel whispered.

Nicolas smiled softly, patting his friend's back, "Don't worry about it," he pushed away from the hug carefully and tapped his shoulder, "I know you meant well by it."

Marcel shook his head, "Man, you gotta think about this while you're on that goddamn plane," he turned his head slightly, frowning, "Please."

Nicolas bowed at him, not saying anything else. He turned his attention to Seven who didn't give him a gaze. He walked towards the assistant, "You alright?" he asked calmly, grabbing his suitcase from his assistant. Marcel acknowledged the two, not wanting to overhear their conversation, so he walked toward Joseph and Victoria.

Seven nodded at the question, "I'm fine." His eyes finally turned to Nick, "Have fun on your trip, Mr. Anderson."

Nicolas sighed, pouting. He gripped the suitcase in his hand, "I'm sorry for doing this. I know you probably expected more from me."

Seven didn't say anything. He turned his head and saw the sad expression on his boss' face. Though Nick was right about Seven's expectations, he couldn't help but feel sympathy for the man standing in front of him. Seven quickly eyed the other three that were occupied, moving his cold hand to Nick's, "Don't stress about it," he reassured, "Have fun on your trip."

Though Seven desperately wanted to save his supervisor from the vacation, there wasn't much he could do. Nicolas had full control over the situation and only he could change his fate with his father. Although bothered by jealousy and anger, he didn't know what to do. Knowing Nick's bad relationship with Joseph, Seven couldn't think of a solution where everything would work out and it upset him. Seeing Nicolas walk away with a scowl on his face was maddening and noticing the chairman wave them off with a grin made Seven even angrier.

Seven didn't have a ride home, considering he and Nick were brought to the airport by the chairman. The plan was for Seven to grab a taxi, but Marcel had offered a ride.

Not thinking much about the offer, he accepted and went the rest of the ride silent. Seven wasn't in the mood to talk.

Upon arriving at the front doorstep of his apartment, Marcel wanted to ask something. The two entered and Seven closed the door behind them, Marcel awing the apartment, "Woahh! Nice place you got here, Seven." he complimented.