|18|

Roman's mouth grew dry as he looked at Virgil who was now staring at his twiddling thumbs.

"What...?" Roman's voice came out hoarse.

Virgil's voice was hardly a whisper, "Tom broke my leg."

Roman shook his head in denial, "No."

"Roman," Virgil looked up at Roman, making direct eye-contact, "If you're doing to defend him then I suggest you leave right now." His tone was unwavering.

Roman was silent before grabbing at a rolling-char and sitting down beside Virgil's bedside.

"Okay." Virgil mumbled and returned to studying his twiddling thumbs.

"...How?" Roman looked down at his lap, neither of the boys were able to make eye-contact right now.

"It was real clever," Virgil scoffed, "He must have been watching us because after I...left- the car- I went around the block and just...sat down and- within seconds he was there, the next thing I knew he had my leg in his arms a-and-" Virgil shuttered, "Break a leg, Virgil, break a mother-fucking leg, huh?"

Roman's heart broke but he was still in shock, "And...you're sure it was Tom?"

Virgil let out a dry laugh, "Still defending your boyfriend I see."

Roman's face flushed a very light red, "He's not my boyfriend."

"Then do me a favor and stop acting like he is." Virgil huffed.

More silence.

"Do you remember anything from...the ambulance ride?" Roman mumbled.

Virgil flinched, recalling Roman's confession...this wasn't the time to discuss that, "No, why?"

Roman seemed a bit bothered by this, his disappointment just showing by a hair, "It was sad..."

"Tsk, Yeah?" Virgil sunk down against his hospital bed.

"Yeah..." Roman continued, despite the attitude in Virgil's voice, "You were so...helpless and vulnerable and- I didn't know what to do...I couldn't...help you."

When have you ever? Virgil decided to not pour salt in the wound but rather stayed quiet.

Roman let out a soft chuckle, "You calmed down when you looked at me though...just for a fraction of a second I thought you..." Roman's voice grew a bit quieter, "I thought you cared."

Virgil's heart monitor began to beep loudly as his heart rate spiked for a few seconds.

Roman heard this and sighed, "Well, do you?"

"...Care about what?"

"Me." Roman resounded flatly.

Another spike in heart-rate.

"Well, you're my- supporting character in Phantom, of course I-"

"Do you like me?" Roman looked up at Virgil.

Multiple spikes in the heart-monitor.

"-Just- as a person in general- do you like me?"

Virgil relaxed a bit, He doesn't mean like like him..., "I mean, you had the decency to call someone and...take care of me...instead of leaving me there- I mean, you came when I called you...I might have bled out, or some shit, if you hadn't found me...so yeah, you're a...an okay guy, Roman." Virgil nodded slightly.

Roman just hardly smiled, and it seemed obviously forced, "Hm, thanks."

"Do you like me?" Virgil was almost afraid to ask this.