Chapter 34: Highschool

Seven stood at Nicolas' desk, picking up files and organizing them. The temporary CEO had already left the office once the clock hit 7, and Serene was stuck organizing the office. The whole day was boring for the assistant, not have much work to do. The temporary CEO sent him out to do some personal errands, like grabbing lunch and picking out a present for his wife. Being back at the office, he felt a sense of relief. He examined the documents, adjusting them as he heard the door open from behind him, "Nick's not here yet?" Marcel asked, walking in.

Of course. The whole day, Serene was dazed out, and he forgot Nicolas returned today.

"No, he hasn't," the assistant responded, "I'm going to head home in a little bit. I'm only fixing the office for when he does come back."

"No need," the voice called, along with the door closing from behind them. The two males turned around, seeing Nicolas standing at the door. His grey sweater wrinkled as he crossed his arms, giving the two a soft smile.

Seven felt his heart drop as if he were jump-scared. His eyes met with Nicks's, the corner of his lips curving into a grin. Though, at the same time, his stomach grew ill. Remembering the conversation of yesterday, mentioning the donation party to Marcel, guilt crawled on his skin. His smile disappeared, turning away from the CEO.

Nicolas saw this, mirroring the same expression. He shoved his hands into his jean pockets, walking towards his desk where the assistant stood, ignoring Marcel, whose eyes followed.

Nicolas nudged the assistant, getting his attention, "Hey," he whispered, tilting his head slightly, "Something happened?" he asked, his voice soft.

Seven furrowed his eyebrows, not turning to face the CEO. His throat grew stiff as he opened his mouth, "Nothing happened," he stated, turning to him, "I'm going to go home." He turned away from Nick, not sharing a glance at him. The assistant's stomach turned, not making eye contact with either of the older men in the room. The voice in his head kept saying that if he stays longer, the conversation from yesterday would eventually bring up.

It was a lost cause, really. Usually, Seven would stay behind to get involved, but anxiety kicked in. Seven was aware that Nicolas wanted to keep the topic hidden from Marcel, and the assistant feared that this was something he could get fired for.

Nicolas and Marcel both saw the assistant walk out the door. Nicolas's legs trembled underneath him, wanting to follow his assistant and talk to him.

"Nick," his friend called. Nicolas turned to him, raising an eyebrow and smiling, "Marcel!" he mocked, turning around to his desk and reviewing the documents.

"How was the vacation?"

At the mention, Nick's heart dropped.

The Vacation.

His eyes fell to his shoes, recalling what he had told Victoria last night, "Marcel," he started. Nick turned to his friend, with sorrow in his eyes, "Victoria uh... our parents decided to move the wedding to next Tuesday."

Marcel's arms dropped, his smile fading at the news, "Wonderful," he sadly commented, "And... did you think about it as I told you to?"

Nicolas narrowed his eyes, opening his mouth, but nothing came out. He didn't know what to tell Marcel - mostly because he wasn't aware of the stuff that his friend already knew.

The lawyer sighed, keeping his eyes on him, "Can I tell you something?"

Nicolas didn't respond, but he nodded slightly.

"While you were away, I dropped off your assistant at his apartment. He invited me for coffee, and we had... a conversation."

Nicolas tilted his head, "A conversation?"