Chapter 36: Confession pt. ii

Seven had left the building, leaving Nicolas alone - not wanting to be at the meeting any longer. He didn't want to face Sandra, knowing well that he wouldn't even be standing under the same building as her without Seven. His heart ached, wanting to punch a hole in the wall. His hands turned into fists, leaning forward and placing his hand on the wall to carry his weight.

His mind was racing with thoughts and realizations, repeating the words that Seven had said:

I like you.

He closed his eyes, breathing in slightly. His legs trembled as he pushed himself away from the wall, turning around and walking back to the meeting room.

The chatter went on as if Nicolas hadn't just been confessed to - left alone.

"Oh, you're back. Where's your assistant?" Sandra asked, standing at the spot Nicolas left her in. Nick's throat stiffened at the mention, frowning, "He had a family emergency," he lied, looking down at the floor.

"Ah- that's unfortunate. He seemed eager to meet me when we were emailing each other the other day."

Nick's chest tightened, biting his inner lip. His breathing shortened, feeling guilt rise through his body, "Yeah? Well, that was before his cousin passed away... Can we get along with the meeting?" he spat out, not making eye contact with the boss of WebBaze.

Sandra raised her eyebrow, "Anderson, I do not appreciate the sudden attitude. Did something happen?"

Nicolas swallowed, biting his lower lip as his eyes gazed at the ceiling, "No," his voice cracked, "Nothing happened. I apologize for the attitude."

Sandra frowned, staring at the CEO, "Mr. Anderson, if you're worried about your assistant-"

"I'm not!" he shouted, "Why would I be worried about him?"

Sandra lowered her chin, staring at Nick, "Because... his cousin passed away..." she reminded. She cleared her throat, "I highly suggest you reschedule this meeting when both you and your assistant are mentally present."

Nicolas didn't respond. He crossed his arms behind him, gazing down at the floor. Sandra sighed, crossing her arms, "Mr. Anderson, I was told by your father that the reason you weren't present at the party was that your assistant didn't feel good."

Nicolas eyed her slowly, hearing her comment.

"I've known your father for a few years now, and to be honest, he's a strict businessman. Running his business based on logistics and his benefit. It is quite a good strategy for running a company, but it's also important to note that a businessman should not ignore morals and integrity." she finished.

"I- I don't understand what you're meaning, Mrs. Venn," Nicolas responded, narrowing his eyes.

"Your father's company might look stable, but how many allies does he really have?" she explained, "A company can do well on its own, but it can be better with connections. Not just from a national point of view, but international." She gave Nick a small smile, leaning into him, "I'm sure you understand where I'm getting at, right? It seems to me that your father is the one controlling you and demanding what companies to recruit because he can't initiate a good connection on his own."

Nicolas chuckled awkwardly, "We have connections-"

"Yes, but internationally?"

Nicolas stepped closer to her, almost as a warning, "Are you insulting the way my father runs his business, Mrs. Venn?"

"Would your father have neglected a donation party to aid an assistant, Mr. Anderson?" Sandra whispered, smiling brightly, "The only reason you're in this meeting is that your father demanded it, am I right?"