Warning Sign

Jay Faulkerson II. 30, multi-millionaire CEO of Player 02 - the biggest gaming consortium in the country, has not said a single word for the last two hours.

He stood motionless against the balcony doors of his penthouse suite, deep in thought.

"This intel report you received. It's legit?" he asked quietly.

"We wouldn't have brought it up with you unless it was a serious and legitimate threat."

He walked to the mini bar, sat down and caged his head between his hands.

"Okay. Double... triple the company's and my family's security detail. Cancel non-urgent social engagements. Get my family out of the country, quietly please. I'll talk to my father about this. But most importantly, find out where the fuck this threat is coming from."

Sam, his long time friend and business advisor looked to the other three men in the boardroom, cleared his throat then walked closer to the bar.

"Jay, everything is being arranged as we speak but—"

"Spit it out, Sam. I can see you're cautiously working your way around something else you need to tell me. Spare me the prolonged agony and just get on with it."

"Well, we think we need to do more than just triple your security detail. And there really is no better way to make sure that you're always covered than—"

Jay abruptly stood up, crossed his arms and shook his head.

"No. Absofuckinglutely not. I don't want a shadow, Sam. I can't have some hulking, tower of testosterone following me around and watching my every move, every single second of the day! We talked about this! The last time I agreed to that, a little boy who wanted to ask me a gaming question was violently swatted away and got seriously hurt. No. Not again. Not ever. End of discussion."

"It'll be different this time. I promise. Besides, I can't not agree to this. Your abuela requested it. You know I can't say no to Lola Linda."

"Putangina. I can't believe you used the lola card."

"Dude. Language. Look, I already discussed this with the head of your security team and he agrees with me. There is no other course of action. You need to take this seriously, Faulkerson. This isn't some empty threat from some gaming geek who got pissed off because you rejected their gameplay suggestions. You read the reports. The asshole has hacked into your office firewall and downloaded your personal calendar. Nothing else. Just that. This isn't your run of the mill company espionage shit. Whoever is behind this wants to hurt you and only you."

"I don't want another kid getting hurt because of an overly enthusiastic bodyguard."

"It won't happen again. I guarantee you. How's the kid, by the way?"

For the first time since the impromptu meeting started, Jay's face finally broke into a smile.

"He's doing great! Top of his class and according to his dad, close to defeating the 12th level boss on Legendary League. Twelfth! He only started playing two days ago. It took me a week just to defeat the level 6 boss and I'm the one who created the game! I'm telling you Sam, this kid's got a future in the gaming industry. If we're lucky, he'll work for us."

Sam shook his head, "you still talk regularly? You really took him under your wing, huh?"

"Kid's smart. In fact, he has a few great suggestions about the new game we're developing. And... well... he seems to have adjusted to his wheelchair. Look Sam, I appreciate your genuine concern but I don't—-"

Sam raised his hand to stop his boss mid-sentence.

"I said this time would be different. I meant it. We found the best person for the job. Smart, efficient, excellent hand to hand combat skills, deadly accuracy when it comes to all sorts of weaponry AND comes highly recommended by our contact at the bureau."

"Sino yan?"

Sam then took his phone out and made a quick call, "send her up."

"Her? My shadow detail is a woman? Sino yan, si Lara Croft?"

"Don't be stupid. You can't afford Lara Croft."

"And also, she's fictional. Seriously, you got me a lady guard?"

Before Sam could say another word, the doors to the suite's private elevator dinged and slid open.

A woman with the most expressive doe-eyes, dressed in a black tailored suit and sky-high stilettos stepped out, walked towards them and held out her hand to Jay.

"Hello, Mister Faulkerson. I'm Nic Mendoza, starting today I'll be your shadow. 24/7."

*•*•*

Author's note: This is un-beta'd so excuse the typos and grammar lapses. I'll fix 'em when my gorgeous and smart beta reader isn't so busy with work.

This story has been done before, I think, but I hope to be able to put my own spin on it.

Lemme know what you think, yeah?