Clocks

•~• Jay's POV •~•

11:47 AM.

It's been six hours since she lost consciousness.

Five hours since I started counting the beeps coming from all the medical equipment attached to her.

Three hours since I ordered a top to bottom security sweep of the entire condominium including all leased office spaces on the ground floor.

An hour and half since I started asking myself why I was so worried about her.

Dozens of medical staff have come and gone since she was wheeled into this room.

But only one person is allowed to stay with her.

One. Me.

"Faulkerson, dude, you need to rest."

I looked up and smiled ruefully at my friend Christopher who happened to be the Chief of Surgery at this hospital.

"Any news on Sam?"

"He's stable. Your friend here took most of the brunt of the blast.  We've ruled out the worst case scenarios so far, but we still need to determine the extent of her injuries."

"So why is she still unconscious?"

"We're running a few more tests pero most likely her brain is just giving her body a chance to recover.  Don't worry, we're doing everything we can to make sure—-"

A shrill, sharp sound interrupted our conversation.

"What was that?!"

"She's coding!"

Before I could move closer to Nic, a swarm of doctors, nurses with nunerous medical equipment came rushing in and started working on her.

I was pushed outside to make more room as people worked furiously to revive her.

I looked at my watch.

Two minutes. It has been two minutes since her vitals crashed.

Hold on, Nic. Hold on, baby.

*•*•*

Author's note: A gentle reminder about the "shorter than usual" updates today.