Everything's Not Lost

•~• Jay's POV •~•

There is just something about a woman who knows how to take charge of a situation. When I gave Nic control over Seb's rescue operation, she didn't hesitate. Didn't blink. Didn't act coy or worry about my male ego. She just gave my hand a squeeze then started laying everything out for both our teams.

In less than half an hour we managed to remotely locate and take control of every single camera that Juan Carlo had strategically placed in and around the house's perimeter.

"Sam, on my signal, I want you to shut down every live feed he has except for the one that's trained on the little boy. I need the chatter on our comms to be at the bare minimum for the duration of the rescue. Eagle eyes on the perimeter. Got that?"

Ang hot, kingina.

"Got it. Briefed the police to stand down until needed."

"Jay, I need you to put on that vest like you said you would. I want zero casualties. Absolutely no collateral damage. We get you and the kid out of there alive."

I moved to the back of the room, away from the cameras and mics and started to get undressed.

"I'm going to be right behind you, okay?"

I nodded at her, my mind already running through every possible scenario- both favorable and otherwise. She must have seen the worry on my face and approached me.

"We will get both of you out. I promise you this, Jay. You'll personally hand over Seb to his parents, mostly unscathed and in one piece. And you.... you and I will walk away from this shitty situation, stronger and tougher. Okay?"

I couldn't find the words to say so I just gave her a quick hug and continued strapping the protective gear on.

"Jay... say something.. please."

I stopped what I was doing, sat down then pulled on Nic to sit on my lap.

"Sometimes, no matter how carefully we plan everything out, shit happens and we lose someone or something that's vital to us. And no matter how much we beat ourselves up for not being able to foresee the bad shit, all we could really do is deal with the loss or bury it in the deepest, darkest recesses of our minds..."

I felt her hold on me tighten.

"Then we'll deal with the bad shit together."

"But what if I lose you, Nic? What if things go horribly wrong and..."

She flicked my ear. Hard.

"Aray puta! What was that for? Masakit ah."

"Am I not the toughest, baddest bitch you know?"

She laughed when I cringed.

"Okay maybe bitch isn't the right word BUT you know I got this, right? I've kept spoiled celebrities and entitled politicians from getting hurt or killed, I could run this rescue operation without a hitch... but I need you to trust me, Jay."

"I do! I trust you. It's him that I don't trust."

"I'm going to beat the insanity out of that psycho, just watch me."

I don't exactly know how but hearing her say those words with absolute conviction finally made me breathe a little easier.

"Baby, may live feed so everyone's going to be watching, not just me."

She laughed and pulled me closer to her.

"Ano? Okay ka na? Pero wait... before we go kick that psycho's ass and save little Seb, how about a little good luck kiss from my big, bad Jay Faulkerson?"

Her lips were on mine even before I could say anything and the kiss ended before I could even begin to enjoy it.

Well fuck that.

I held her face in my hands and kissed her again. And again. And again. Air, or the lack of it didn't seem to matter to either of us anymore. It was as if we were both making promises to each other with our kisses. Promises that we will both move heaven and earth to keep.

I felt Nic move to straddle me just as her hands started untucking my shirt.

"Ahm... excuse me. You guys may be out of range sa cameras pero your comms are still activated. Parang awa. Put the R-18 part of this real life action thriller on pause. You have a hostage to rescue."

We lept apart, breathless but needing more. I struggled to stand up as Nic grabbed onto the nearest table to steady herself.

I made a mental note to punch Sam as soon as this thing's over and done.

"You guys finally ready?"

I looked at Nic and silently made a vow to myself to keep her safe, whatever the cost.

"Ready, Mendoza?"

"Ready."

"Let's go."

*•*•*

Author's note: Para sa labing pitong nagbabasa pa nito. Echos lang. Alam ko namang nasa bente syete kayo.

• Unbeta'd.
• Working on the bakbakan part.
• Just a few chapters to go tapos tapos na! So baka mga February next year ang ending. Charot.