Us Against the World

•~• Nic's POV •~•

"Remember, as soon as Jay steps out of frame of each feed, we take over. Kill Juan Carlo's control one cam at a time. Got it, Sam? Kat? Everyone? I need for all of you  to understand how critical it is that we get the timing right."

I took a deep breath as I stood in position, a few feet away from Jay, hidden from view but still able to watch his movements.

The chatter from the comms rang in my ear.

"We're good to go. You guys please be careful. Jay, I know you can't talk anymore but please pretend to wipe sweat off your forehead so I know your in-ear is working fine."

I looked up in time to see Jay wipe his brow.

"Okay Nic, we got the first feed. You can move now. I need you to stand beside that pile of wooden pallets. It's a blind spot. You will still have visuals on Jay, don't worry. Move now. Go."

With Sam's steady voice in my ear and my eyes trained on Jay, I moved as quietly as possible to the blind spot.

One camera down. Three more to go.

"Jay, there's a door to your right, that's your entry point. Pretend to trip on something to acknowledge."

I saw Jay trip and stumble and then curse.

"Sabi ko kunyari ka lang madapa, boss."

I swallowed a chuckle.

"Sam, you need to come up with better signals. Pag yang si Jay napikon sayo..."

"Sabi ko kasi pretend lang, malay ko bang kakaririn niya yung pagkatalisod niya. Okay, we have control of cam two. Nic, go. Same entry point but head to your left. There's a dark spot just beside the metal stairs. Stay there until I clear you to move."

I hurried across the open space and slipped inside the room. It looked like an abandoned office and smelled musty, almost suffocating. This was the part of the rescue operation where I would lose visuals on Jay. It was the part I hated the most.

"Sam, how's Jay doing?" I whispered quietly into my comm.

Before Sam could answer, a loud maniacal laughter filled the air. I was about to run up the stairs but then I heard Jay's calm, steady voice.

"I'm here now. Let the boy go."

"Are you alone?"

"You've had your cameras on me at all times, Buddy. You tell me."

"DON'T CALL ME THAT! I AM NOT YOUR BUDDY YOU LYING, THIEVING SON OF A BITCH!"

"Okay, okay. Calm down. Check your cams if you want."

"Don't tell me what to do, asshole."

"I CAME HERE ALONE NOW LET THE BOY GO!"

"Or what? What can you do, asshole? Steal my ideas again? The boy stays! You and I need to talk some more."

"M-mister J-j-ay? D-don't w-worry ab-bout m-me."

Seb's voice, faint but full of courage, cut through Juan Carlo's tirade.

"Fine. Let's talk but we switch places. Step away from the boy. I need to check on him."

"You don't call the shots here, I do!"

"Putangina Badong! Ano ba!? Andito na ko diba!? This is what you fucking want diba? Stop being such a fucking pansy and let me check on the boy!!"

Despite the dangerous situation, I found myself smiling.

That's my man. Ang hot lalo pag galit.

"Nic, what's happening? Why is your heartbeat level spiking? Are you okay?"

Fuuuuuck....

I forgot about the vest's biometric reader.

"Nothing. I'm fine. Just nerves."

And then I heard the unmistakable sound of a gun being cocked and my heart stopped.

"Fine. Mapagbigay naman akong tao hindi katulad mo. Go. Check on the boy. Pero warning lang, pare. One false move, I swear I will shoot you both."

*•*•*

Author's note: Unbeta'd pa rin. Pero hey at least may update diba? Diba? Charot. Here's hoping masundan ko agad to.