Potter heirlooms

On Christmas day Jenny watched Mrs Weasley run around the kitchen after her children, shouting instructions, and stopping Ron from throwing knives at Fred and George. Jenny stared enviously at the family she knew she would never be able to have. Molly had 7 children, and Jenny could never have any. She wasn't a particlualy maternal person, but she was upset that she would never be able to be a mother herself.

Jenny couldn't help but laugh at Ron and Harry's faces as Mrs Weasley made them peel the vegetables for the Christmas dinner. She looked sneekily at the gnome dressed as an angel on top of the tree, that she and the Weasley twins had stunned and stuck up there, without Molly noticing.
Once Harry had finished with the vegetables, Jenny beckoned him over, to sit next to her on the Weasley's sofa.
"Having fun?" She questioned.
"Very funny" replied Harry, shaking his head as he sat down.

Jenny smiled.
"Remind me where your other friend is again".
"Hermione? Well her and Ron aren't exactly talking at the moment, since he started going out with Lavender Brown" answered Harry.
"Oh yes, I remember now. Ron is very foolish. Even a blind person could tell that Hermione has a crush on him. Must make things awkward for you, stuck in the middle"
"It is".

Jenny opened her purse and handed a delicately wrapped present to Harry.
"What's this? You already gave me my Christmas present earlier. You gave me dad's first Griffindor scarf" reminded Harry.
"You're my only family member left Harry. Did you really think I'd only give you James's scarf for Christmas? That was just something I thought you might like. This is your real gift, but I didn't want you opening it in front of everyone" replied Jenny.

Harry unwrapped the small present and found a beautiful ring, with a crimson stone in the centre.
"It's a Potter family heirloom. I found it when I was sorting out my parents bedroom. There are two rings like it, I'm wearing the other one. If they are both worn at the same time by two Potters and they get close, they will heat up. They will also get cold if the other person is in danger, and then the ring will return to normal once they are safe" Jenny explained.

She raised her hand, showing Harry the ring on her middle finger on her left hand.
"They only work when worn by a Potter. If taken off, or worn by another person, then they stop working. They can't be traced or cursed, or duplicated, so they are safe to use" she continued.
Harry placed the ring on his finger, and felt a warm tingling rush through his body, and Jenny felt the same.
"Thanks Jenny" said Harry.
"You're welcome".

"Oh that reminds me. Dumbledore gave me a message for you. He wanted me to tell you in person, as he didn't think it was safe to put in a letter" said Harry.
"Really? What did he want to tell me?" Asked Jenny.
"I didn't understand what it meant, but he said you would. He said that you should find a new best friend" replied Harry.
Jenny felt her palms go sweaty. How could Dumbledore have known about her and Jack? And if he knew, then who else knew as well?
She looked at Remus and Arthur, who hadn't mentioned it to her, and hadn't acted like they wanted to tell her something.

"So what did Dumbledore mean?" Asked Harry curiously.
"Nothing. Tell him not to worry. I know what I'm doing, and I won't put anyone in the Order in danger, I promise" replied Jenny.
"He seemed worried about you, not anyone else"
"Well that's kind of him, but I don't need anyone worrying about me. That includes you. I'm fine"
"I can tell that you're not fine. You seem sadder than the last time I saw you"
"How observant of you. But I'm fine, really. Anyway, my 'friend' has gone, and I won't be seeing them again"
"But what-"
"Just leave it Harry. Oh look. It seems like Molly wants us to take our places at the dinner table" interupted Jenny as she stood up, and made her way to the dinning table.

During dinner, Jenny was seated inbetween Harry and Remus. It made Jenny feel sad, when she looked at Remus, he had become much thinner and more depressed, since she had last seen him. She knew that Dumbledore had ordered him to spend time with other werewolves, to try and get them onto the good side. But it was clearly taking a lot out of Remus.
Just as Harry had begun questioning Remus about Tonks's changed Patronus, Mrs Weasley screamed and rose from her chair.
"Arthur! Arthur, it's Percy" she shouted abruptly.

Everyone turned to look out of the window, and sure enough Percy Weasley was striding down the snowy path, but he wasn't alone.
"Arthur, he's... he's with the Minister" continued Molly Weasley.
Before Arthur could reply, the back door opened and Percy walked in, followed by the Minister for Magic.
There was a moment of painful silence before Percy approached his mother.
"Merry Christmas mother" he said stiffly.
"Oh Percy" replied Molly as she threw her arms around him.

Rufus Scrimgeour, the Minister, stood awkwardly in the doorway.
"You must forgive this intrusion. Percy and I were in the vicinity, working you know, and he couldn't resist dropping in and seeing you all" said the Minister.
Percy showed no sign of wanting to greet the rest of his family, who were all glaring at him, with such hatred.
Mrs Weasley offered her seat to the Minister.
"No no, my dear Molly. I didn't want to intrude, wouldn't be here at all if Percy hadn't wanted to see you all so badly. We've only got a few minutes, so I'll just have a stroll around the yard while you catch up with Percy. Well if anybody would care to show me around your charming garden... ah that young man's finished, why doesn't he take a stroll with me" suggested the Minister, pointing at Harry.

The atmosphere around the table changed instantly. Nobody seemed to find Scrimgeour's pretence that he did not know Harry's name convincing.
Harry was also not fooled. He knew that the real reason they had come, was so that Scrimgeour could speak to Harry alone.
Jenny winked at Harry as he got up to leave, but he didn't know why. Remus stepped up to leave, but Jenny placed her hand on his arm and shook her head. Allowing the Minister to escort Harry out.

Once the Minister and Harry had left, Jenny stood up.
"Excuse me for a minute won't you Molly" she said politely, facing Molly.
"I don't believe we have been introduced Miss..." asked Percy stepping towards Jenny.
"Potter. Jennifer Potter. I'm Harry's aunt" replied Jenny, with a false smile.
"Ah, well nice to meet you"
"Likewise".
Jenny left the room and made her way upstairs as quickly as possible. Once she reached a window, she transformed into her animagus squirrel form, Ash, and jumped down to the ground. Planning to follow Harry and the Minister, to make sure that Harry was safe.

Harry was becomming angry with the Ministers constant questioning about Dumbledore, and whether or not Harry was really the chosen one.
His hand suddenly became very warm, and Harry looked down at his glowing ring. His head then snapped up and began looking around for his aunt.
Eventually he saw a brown squrrel a few feet away, and he shook his head, smiling at his aunts bravery. Even though Jenny wasn't a human, she was still technically wearing the ring, even though you couldn't see it anymore.

The Minister was still babbling on, about how he wanted Harry to join forces with the ministry. But then he made a mistake.
"If you were seen popping in and out of the ministry from time to time, that would give the right impression. And of course while you were there you would have the opportunity to speak to the head of the Auror office. Dolores Umbridge has told me that it's your ambition to become an Auror. Well that could be arranged very easily".

Harry felt anger bubbling in the pit of his stomach. Dolores Umbridge was still working at the ministry, after all she had put him through the year before. He still had a scar on the back of his hand from her torturous detentions.
Jenny felt proud of her nephew as he began to shout at the Minister and stand his ground. Proving that he was a Potter, and not one to be pushed around. Just like his father.
"Well it's clear you are Dumbledore's man through and through, aren't you Potter?" said Scrimgeour, his eyes cold and hard.
"Yeah, I am. Glad we straightened that out" Harry snapped back.
He then turned his back on the Minister, and strode back towards the house, leaving the Minister for Magic, alone and deafeated.