He wasn't the beast they said he would be

As the gang introduced themselves, and they were roasting some fish the dragons caught for them, they were about to listen to Phoenix story.

Phoenix POV

"This happend about 4 years ago, it was about time for the Sand Wraith migration. They never really cause any damage, but this fella was unlucky." I said looking at the Sand Wraith, scratching his head.
"Our village was in the middle of a raid when the Sand Wraiths passen by, my village mistook him for one of the dragons who were raiding and shot him down with a net." I said seeing it happen in my head.

Flashback!

My chief send me out to search for the beast, kill it if needed. It took me a while to find him, but when I did i tought he was dead already. I decided to get closer, slowly step by step. I had never seen a Sand Wraith so close before, who knows what its capable of. He was absolutely beautiful, most of his body was this sand like color all of the little spikes on his head and body either red, yellow or the two combined. It's body made for speed and hiding in sand. As I was taking in every little detail, I didn't notice he was watching me. He gave a little warning growl, I slowly looked him in the eyes holding my breath. His bright yellow eyes. He looked scared, almost like pleading me to end his suffering. Getting cought in that net, and being saperated from his family must have made him lose hope. Thats when I realized his wing was bent in a weird angle because of the net. I couldn't get myself to end him, this so called murderous beast was accepting defeat. Laying his head back on the ground waiting for the end. And that's when I did something really stupid, I cut the ropes, not thinking of what was going to happen next. As he came loose from the nets, he looked at me, his eyes full of rage. He tried to intimidate me even more by lifting his wings to make himself look bigger, and thats when the pain kicked in. He couldn't use his wing. He couldn't fly. A downed dragon is a dead dragon, I remembered. I had to do something, so I told him:
"If you can understand me, I want to help you... Please let me."
He looked at me, confusion and pain written all over his facial features. As I put out my hand to touch him, he hesitated. Closing my eyes giving him all my trust, I felt something touch my hand. It was rough and sandy. I opend my eyes to see him looking back at me. The confusion and rage I saw before was gone, now there was still pain but also hope.

End of flashback.

"From that day on I promised to get him back in the air, to be free again and find his family. I had to hide him somewhere and thats where his perfect sand disguise came in handy." I said still thinking back looking at the dragon, smiles on our faces. He might have been hurt because of my kind, but he trusted me with his life.
"Did you never think about naming him?" The tall dark haired boy I now know as Hiccup said.
"I did but if I gave hin a name I would grow to attached to him, and he might have never left to find his family. I did however have a name in the back of my head." I said thinking about the name and what it meant to him and me.
"Ohhh lemme guess... ehhhmm Sandstorm, Sandshadow... ughhh Sandfury? To be honest it looks like a Night Fury." Tuffnut said guessing names.
"Nah she looks smart to me, she could have came u with a better name... like ehh Frannarth!" Ruffnut said thinking of a name for the dragon.
"No it's bit more personal, it would have been Sol meaning sun. He loved watching the sunset on the beach while he was recovering. What do you think boy? Do you like that?" I said hoping he would like it. Thats when I heard a happy purr come from the big dragon.
"Then Sol it is! But... why are you here with me, and not your family?" I asked being concerned. A sad growl came from the dragon now known as Sol.
"You didn't find them did you?" I asked with a sad tone. Yet another sad growl came from him.
"I am so sorry to hear that... know that you can stay with me as long as you like, because I have nowhere to go either." I said not wanting to think about my village. He tried to comfort me, confused on why I said that last part.
"I'd be happy so stay by your side." he said. But ofcouse no human would understand him.
"Why?" I heard Fishlegs say? This got the dragons attention, he wanted to know that too.
"Because..." I waited not knowing if I was ready to talk about it.
"You can always tell us later." The girl I now know as Astrid said. Sol then let out a little whine.
"No... its ok I'll tell you. Sol want's know too I see. So my village got attacked, there were dragons with them. They were riding them, it looked unnatural like they were forced to. That's why I didn't trust you at first. I tought you were one of them. The only thing left of my village are a few burnt down houses I guess and then me." I said as fast as I could without tearing up. My mothers sacrfice in the back of my head.
"Dragon hunters..." Hiccup said realizing who they were.
"Phoenix why don't you come with us to the Edge, we train dragons there. We could help you and Sol train, so you would have a place to live." Astrid asked me.
"Everything to avenge my village, Sol... are you with me?" I asked hoping one of my only friends would stay with me.
"For my only family left... I would do anything." My fears of lonelyness were replaced by happiness when i heard a loud roar from Sol.
"I guess that's a yes." Hiccup said.
"Welcome to the family Sol and Phoenix!" Meatlug roared while the other dragons said welcome too.
"Let's rest here for the night, we'll leave first thing in the morning." Hiccup added.
"I hope you are ready to make your fist flight tomorrow." Astrid said to me.
"I always wanted to know what flying would feel like." I said.

. . .