Four

"I hate that you work here." John says, coming up to the bar in the Garrison.

"I can't get through my life going from one race day to the next."

"But isn't Tommy paying you more for going around with him?"

"I like working here. I get to play my cards." I smile. "Plus when I get really drunk blokes in here they ask for fortunes, and I get to stop pulling pints for twenty minutes."

"I'll start giving you extra money. Quit."

"Why?"

"Because you deserve better."

"I'm still not marrying you, John boy." I pat his cheek, joking about when he proposed to me two years ago when his kids were running circles around him. I was barely seventeen.

"Shut up!" He groans, a big smile on his face. "Do you actually like working here?" He asks.

"It's not the best, but I need the cash." I say and get him a glass and pour him a whiskey. "Plus, Grace left right as I turned eighteen. It was perfect timing."

"Grace." He scoffs, downing the whiskey.

"I feel the same way about her." I shake my head and run a rag over the bar to make it seem like I'm doing work.

I was with Polly when she gave Grace her ultimatum. She had me come with her, to establish my power in the family over her, and because of the talk that we had with her, I'll never be able to like her. Claiming that she loves Tommy and then giving him up to the fucking coppers. It was shit. Complete and utter shit and it made my heart break for him.

"Oh, I came here to tell you something." He says, pouring himself another drink.

"And what's that?"

"It's Michael's birthday, Friday. We're having a party here that night."

"Is it really his birthday? My God, time has flown."

"Yes." He nods.

"Is Arthur still in London?"

"Yes. He's got the Eden club secured. Got it last night." He says and I nod.

"I haven't seen or heard from Tommy all day."

"He's working at the office." He nods. "I'll take ya there, you've just got to leave now."

"Fine."

"I'll drive, of course."

"Yeah, thanks mate. I was hoping you would."

"Oi! Harry!" John shouts. "She's got to go. Here's some cash." He slaps down five notes on the bar. "To cover her being gone."

"Bye Harry! Sorry!" I shout, grabbing my coat and putting it on before following John out of the pub. "I feel like Tommy's driving himself mad."

"Yeah." John says and we hop into his car, driving over to the offices of Shelby Company Limited. "Want me to stay?" He asks, pulling to a stop in front of the office.

"I'm a big girl, John, I can walk back home." I say, stepping out of the car and closing the door behind me.

"You sure?"

"Yes."

"Have you got a weapon, just in case?"

"I've always got my knife, I'll be fine." I say and he smiles.

"Atta girl." He smiles. "Love ya! See you at the Garrison later! I'm heading back now!"

"Thomas Shelby!" I call into the office, walking right back towards his office. "Hello Lizzie, I'll be going in there." I point to the office and she waves me in. "Hi." I peek my head in.