Fourteen

I go to work late, after nursing my headache from the night before, I get dressed and go to the offices, where I'm hoping Tommy is.

"Is Tommy here?" I ask Michael, going to his desk.

"Great to see you too, love." He says with a smile.

"Sorry I was a bitch to you when you woke me up to leave." I lean down and kiss him. "I applaud you for making it to work on time, though." I say and he nods.

"Still struggling a bit." He says and I pat his cheek. "

"I'll make you some tea when I'm done talking to Tom. Is he here?" I ask and he nods, and I automatically head into his office, ignoring whatever Lizzie said to me as I opened the door. "Alfie." I say with a raised eyebrow, closing the door behind me.

"Hi treacle."

"We were waiting for you." Tommy says and I take a seat next to Alfie.

"What's going on?"

"Well, I didn't hear from you last night, so I thought I'd come up to old Birmingham."

"You're quite persistent. I was going to call you this morning."

"It's almost noon." Thomas says and I shrug.

"I'm surprised you're even here. Didn't you drink the majority of a bottle of whiskey last night?"

"And you a bottle of gin."

"Yes, but I'm younger so I can do stupid things. You have a baby." I say and he gives me a tight smile. "But yes, Alfie, I can do dinner. Does next Wednesday work?"

"I was thinking a weekend."

"I'm working with his wife to be on their wedding plans in all my weekend time."

"Grace is just making a list of who she wants there. You don't have to be part of that."

"And I'm in charge of our guest list?" I ask and he nods. "Good, so if you have any standout characters you particularly want there, let me know." I say and turn to Alfie. "Looks like this weekend works, Mr. Solomons. If I get shot, my boyfriend will come after you."

"I'd like to meet this boyfriend of yours." He says and I stand.

"He's got a bit of a bottle-ache after last night, but I'm meant to make him some tea. You can join us." I say and he follows me out of the room. "Michael, this is Alfie Solomons." I say and Michael stands, and the two men shake hands.

I can see Michel get a bit scared that this is his "competition."

"Michael." Alfie nods. "Nice to meet you, mate." He takes a seat.

"I'll get the tea." I say and Michael looks at me, a little confused and I give him a smile, before leaving them. Which scares me more than it should.

"What the fuck is Alfie Solomons doing talking to my son?" Polly asks, coming into the kitchen, where I'm waiting for the kettle to boil.

"Alfie wants to take me to dinner. I thought it wold be nice for them to meet."

"You're going to dinner with him? Is my son not treating you well?"

"He wanted to treat me for keeping a secret for him." I say and she eyes me. "Nothing bad. Promise. I wouldn't keep it a secret if it was." I say and she nods.

"Fair enough." She says and I pour the tea into a pot, swirling it around and slowly walk over to Michael's desk, setting it down.

"It needs to sit." I say and take a seat myself. "How are we getting along here, then?" I ask and Alfie nods.