Thirty-One

"Come on." Michael shakes me awake slightly. "We've got the Orphanage opening today." He says as I peek an eye open.

"No." I groan, clutching the blankets. "When?"

"Few hours." I nod, eyes closed as I lay there. "Do you feel alright?"

"Peachy. Just tired." I say, slightly drifting off again, but he pokes my forehead, waking me right up again. "Come on." I groan, looking at him. "I'm pregnant."

"You slept for ages, my love. I'm bored." He looks at me with a smirk.

"We're not fucking. I'm not confident in my body at the moment. I'm fat." I look at him and his face softens.

"You're still the most beautiful girl in the world to me." He says and I almost melt.

"Oh my God, I have to pee." I respond and jump out of bed, running to the bathroom.

"Yeah, you're welcome." Michael laughs as I shut the bathroom door behind me.

"Thank you very much." I kiss him when I get back. "Still not fucking. You want to go to the cottage later? I could use the time away from the smoke." I say and he nods. "Perfect."

"Will you fuck me there? It's only me and that old bat of a neighbor that would have to see."

"Who says the neighbor has to see?"

"She'll probably shout at us about the yard again." He says and I scoff.

"I'll throw a hundred pounds at her and she can fuck off for another six months." I say and he shakes his head.

"Alright, relax, Tommy." He laughs and I roll my eyes. "You're just like him. Ever since I met you. I said it to mum and she said that terrified her. She never wanted this life for you."

"I know." I nod. "I asked for it, I suppose." I shrug and flop back down onto the bed. "I don't want to go to this."

"I don't even think Thomas wants to go to this, and he's paid for it. Now let's go."

-

Welcome to the opening of the Grace Shelby Institute for the non-insured children of the poor." Polly starts the ceremony. "I would very much like you to join me in thanking the man that made the founding of this establishment actually possible. Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Thomas Shelby." She says and Thomas stands, holding Charlie as everyone claps for him.

"Speech!" Arthur shouts. "Come on, speech!" Arthur shouts again and Tom looks over at me and I take Charlie from his arms. "Say it, Tom. Say it to 'em!" He shouts.

"Lay the foundation!" John shouts, sounding like he's in the back, but there's really just so much applause. I think he's sat behind Tommy, which is only five chairs away from me.

"Um, I didn't come here today to make a speech, but I will say this. These children are now safe. In out care, they will be safe. Because we are from the same cold streets as they are and in our care, they won't be shipped away to the colonies, or separated from kin or made to work for men in their various ways. They will grow up here. At home. Loved. In Birmingham. In our city."

"By order of the Peaky Blinders." Arthur says and I smirk, knowing that is just what Thomas didn't want Arthur to say today, and the crowd applauds, though I know some of them don't enjoy the Peaky Blinders, or that Thomas opened this place, but it was always the dream for Grace, after she heard that Polly's children had been taken from her. Grace knew that Polly didn't like her, but she wanted to do something that would make the city better, because of something that happened to Polly. Grace didn't want that history to repeat itself, with anybody. She wanted everyone to be able to stay close to family, not to be thrown into a new one without even knowing.