Thirty-Five

Three weeks later.

There's knocking on the door that won't stop.

"This better be fucking good." I groan, one hand gripping a handgun behind the door as I swing it open.

I'm greeted by Ralph's face, which isn't bad, so I loosen my grip on the gun.

"What?" I ask.

"You've got to come back today." He says and my eyebrows knit together.

"Come back where?"

"Birmingham."

"Why?"

"Why do you think? It's happening soon." Ralph responds and my face falls, tears welling in my eyes.

"Are you fucking serious?"

"Yes. Do you need help packing?" He steps into the house and holds my arms.

"Yeah, let's go." I say and a tear falls down my face as I put the gun back in the drawer of hall table, where the phone is.

"You had a gun?"

"You never know when you're me." I say and he laughs. "They're getting out today?"

"Thomas said he was sending the letter this week, so he wants you in Birmingham for when they get back. I'm to take you to the Small Heath flat."

"Oh man." I say, clambering up the stairs. "I'm really going home."

"It'll be good for you though. You've always been at your best when you're there." Ralph comments and I smile and hug him.

"You've been my rock during the hardest part of my life, and I cannot thank you enough." I whisper and he grips me just as tight as I've been hugging him.

"Do you remember when you were in your last year of school and told those kids to stop bugging that one kid that was a few years younger than you? Fat and ugly?" He asks and I pull back from the hug.

"Was that you?"

"It was my brother. He died in the war, but he was always grateful. You always stood up for him, and after he passed I joined the Blinders. I've been watching you ever since times got hard because you always did it for my brother." He says and I hug him again.

"You, Ralph Walters, are a fuckin' saint." I say and tears stream down my face. "You're my brother."

"You've been my sister since you started calling me Ralphie." He laughs. "My mum's dying to meet ya."

"I'll meet her whenever." I smile. "I had no idea that was your brother."

"Different dads." He shrugs. "Small Heath, babe." He says and I laugh, wiping my eyes.

"What's going on?" Ruby asks, walking in.

"Going back to Small Heath, babe." I say and her eyes widen.

"You sure that's a good idea?" She asks and Ralph nods.

"Tom's getting them out this week, we're just not sure when." He says and I nod.

"What if he's lying again?"

"I'll cut Tommy Shelby's fucking dick off myself." I say and she laughs.

"Good to know you're back, Florence."

"Oh, I'm back baby." I smile. "Where's Tillie?"

"Sleeping. She's the best baby."

"She knows she's got to get her rest to be the best for her dad." I say and start tossing dresses over my shoulder for Ralph to pack up for me.

-