Twenty-Six

"We've got to move into the cottage that's closer to Thomas' place." I say to Michael once we're back at home.

"I can't. I have work here. Across the street." He motions to the door, where the office is technically across the street, but also down a bit.

"So you'll drive." I say with a shrug of my shoulders, assuming we just figured out our whole new living situation.

"And how will you get anywhere?" He asks and I sigh, knowing that this is an argument, now.

"Fine, I'll live alone. Take the car. See you on the weekends. I'll go pack." I say and storm up the stairs.

"What's wrong?!" He asks, storming after me.

"I need to move for my work." I say and he scoffs.

"You're a gangster! It's different! You're having our kid! I don't want you to go and live alone!"

"But that's the thing, Michael. I don't want to either. But I have to. For Thomas." I say and chills come over my body. "I have to do it for him. I owe it to him. He's given me the world. He gave me you, this baby, this fucking house." I say, tears welling in my eyes. "His wife was shot, Michael. I would be a wreck if something like that happened to you, and I know for a fact you'd be a mess without me. So, I need to do this."

"I'm sure Thomas will loan you a car to borrow so that we can both live at the cottage." He says and I give him a small smile. "I'm sure he'll have a driver for you as well."

"I'm going to be heavily guarded regarding Thomas' business ventures as well, because well, I'm Florence Walker and I need protection, bitch." I say and he laughs.

"Good." He kisses me. "I don't like when we fight."

"I don't like when we fight either." I say and wrap my arms around his neck, keeping our foreheads together.

"Have you thought of names?" He asks, smoothing a hand over my belly.

"My mum's name was Theodosia. My gran's name was Esmerelda. I like Matilda, because it comes with a nickname. Tillie."

"Those are all girls names, do you think it's going to be a girl?" He asks and I shrug.

"They're the only names I thought of. I've been busy."

"Yeah, that's true." He nods. "I like Michael, as a name. I was raised Henry, so if anyone asks the reason why, it could be that."

"I like fun names."

"Are you calling my name boring?"

"Yes, Michael Gray, I am." I smirk and kiss him.

"Well, not everybody can be sunshine and rainbows like you are, Florence Walker."

"I'm sure the first thing people think of once they've looked at me are sunshine and rainbows, not gunpowder and gang dealings." I laugh.

-

"Who the fuck could that be?" Michael asks groggily as we're woken up to banging on our front door.

"Yes?" I ask, opening the door, seeing none other than John Shelby.

"Your dad came down the Garrison last night." He says and my eyebrows furrow.

"He hasn't been to the Garrison since my mum died. Is he okay?" I ask and he nods.

"Heard you were pregnant. Wanted to see if you were okay. He was respectable. Sober, even."

"Where is he now?" I ask and he sighs.