Six

"You're coming to dinner tonight." Michael says, walking up to me in the office a few days after him and Isaiah's fight.

"Dinner where?"

"My house. Mum's cooking."

"Elizabeth Gray cooking." I nod. "Interesting. I haven't seen that in quite some time." I smile. "I'll be there, of course."

"Good, because she told me not to take no for an answer." He sits on the corner of my desk.

"Staying a while?" I ask and he chuckles. "How've you been, Mr. Gray?"

"I was alright, but I'm better now that I'm seeing you." He says and I can't help but laugh.

"Get away from my desk. I've got work." I say and pick up a pen.

"What work do you do exactly?"

"I've got to write a letter for Tommy."

"Lots of work." He muses.

"And then!" I point a finger at him. "I make some tea. For you, me, and Lizzie, and then!" I point at him again. "I write numbers in the books, but only if you want me to, and then I go home and get ready for this big dinner."

"You're going to help me with the books?"

"I've kept books before. Difference is, I'm an illegal bookmaker. And I need my maths to get checked."

"I forgot you work the races." He nods. "Do you like that?"

"I was never a horse girl, not really the best at riding, which amazes some people, but I like the betting because it's a different side to it, plus I'm a well respected girl round here, so people know not to shout at me when placing their bets."

"A well respected girl." He repeats. "That you are, Florence." He nods and goes to his desk.

-

"Dear Lord, for what we're about to receive, may the Lord make us truly grateful. Amen." Polly says grace and they stares at Michael and I when we don't repeat her final word. "Amen." She repeats.

"Amen." We say together and she holds her hand out for her son's plate, filling it with food.

"Looks great, Pol." I say once she's made me a plate.

"You know my cooking dear." She pats my hand. "It's always good."

And then there's a bang and police and barging into the home.

"Police! Stay where you are!" They're shouting, and there's so many of them that I can't even distinguish which of them are saying what.

"No." I shake my head as they start to restrain Michael. "No!" I shout at the police, punching, kicking flailing my arms at them trying to take him away.

"Not again! Michael!" Polly shouts as I'm fully restrained by one of the coppers, but he's leaving so I guess I have to watch him get taken away. From me. From his mum. "No, you can't take him away again!" Polly shouts. "You can't take my son away!" Polly screams and I kick the cop in the balls and run down to Inspector Campbell.

"Tommy Shelby is going to have your fucking neck, you know that?" I ask, getting in his face. "You're going to die because of him." I nod. "And it's all because Grace picked him over you, you sad, sad-" I'm knocked to the ground after that. "Old man." I finish. "You're pathetic!" I shout up at him.

"Don't say anything! Tommy will get you out!" Polly shouts at the car and Inspector Campbell pushes her up against the side.

"You two should know that as of this night, Tommy Shelby is finished." He says, and I look at Michael, who's looking at me.