Eleven

Living with Thomas and Grace is quite nice, I'll have to admit. Their house in Warwickshire is amazing, and their maids are even better, and gave me what was promised to be the best bath of my life. Which it was. I was very pleased.

"Wake up, miss." One of the maids shakes me lightly. "Mr. Shelby's sent me in. You two are going to London in an hour and I need to do your hair."

"Okay." I say, getting up and sitting in a chair, pulling my dressing down on over my nightgown and my knees come up to my chest, and I rest my head down.

"Can you pick your head up? I've got some tea here for you." She says and I perk up instantly.

"What's your name?"

"Penny, miss."

"I'm Florence. Call me Flo. Not miss." I say and she nods, braiding my hair. I couldn't tell you the last time I didn't have my hair tucked up. "I love it." I say, it's pulled away from my face with a white piece of cloth, and it's showing how long it is, which I love, and I never want to cut. "Thank you." I smile and she nods, leaving the room and I put on some power and mascara before putting on my dress, somehow another maid knew that I was going to get dressed, so she came in and did the buttons, and helped me put my shoes on, which was weird, and then I was on my way downstairs to go to see Alfie Solmons with Tommy.

"Your hair is nice." Tommy nods before we leave the house.

"Thanks, mate." I laugh.

"The maid do that?" He asks and I nod. "Good on her. I've not seen your hair down like that since before the war."

"I don't have anyone to braid it for me."

"Your mum always had long hair."

"She always made me keep my hair long as well. I won't cut it too short because of her."

"Good. Long hair suits you." He says, driving off and I smile a little. "There should be some tea and toast in a basket." He points behind us. "If you're hungry." He says and I instantly go to get it.

"Here." I put a piece of toast with jam in his mouth.

"Christ." He says, removing the bread from his mouth. "Wasn't expecting that."

"You're fine." I say, spreading jam on a piece of toast for myself. "Tea?" I ask, holding up the little cup, and he downs it in one go.

"We're barely off the street and I'm fed for the day."

"You'll have more tea before we go in. Unless I finish it all we'll see how the journey goes."

"Do you know why we're going to Alfie?"

"Not a clue."

"He wants to see you again."

"We're seeing him three times this week because he misses me?"

"Well, it's been a couple of months since the Derby and that's the last time you saw him. You were very good that day, might I add."

"Well, thanks." I blush a bit.

"We're going to renegotiate the contract this week."

"The one that he forced you to sign?"

"That exact one."

"And how do you think that is going to go?"

"Not well, but it's something to do."

"And you want something for me to do so you can get me out of your house. That's very kind of you."