19: Same Mistakes

Wake up, we both need to wake up, Maybe if we face up to this, We can make it through this, Closer, maybe we'll be closer, Stronger than we were before - One Direction

*Emon Ricciardi*

Iyesha and I stood at the door of my Mom's place. To much of her complaining, we finally got here. It was tradition that my mother always did a Christmas Eve brunch. Since I was the only relative that lived in the state it would just be Iyesha and I. We both agreed to come together with our family for Christmas. We'd take the boys with us to the park and to take our yearly Christmas photos.

The front door to Mom's place opened up. She smiled stepping out to hug me. " My Baby. " She rubbed my shoulders gripping them firmly. Her eyes trailed over to Iyesha. Her face dropped to a frown. " Emon's wife. " She turned around going back inside. " Come on in. "

" You see what I be talking about? " Iyesha scoffs as I step aside allowing her to enter first.

We both go inside. I close the door behind me. Mom walks towards the kitchen as I follow her. " Mom what did we discuss? "

She turns around. " You didn't expect me to change overnight, did you? "

" No, but I would like you to greet her better than that. For the sake of Christmas, please. " I say, placing my hands together in prayer.

She rolls her eyes and sighs. " Lord, give me strength. " She walks past me making her way back into the living room. " Iyesha I am happy you could join us today. Your shoes look nice. "

" Happy to be here. I really like that color of nail polish you have on. "

Even though they were big still being very petty. I'll take what I could get. " Where are the boys? " I ask.

" Kenny took them with him to the store. I needed some stuff so I figured why not let them get out of the house. "

" Who is Kenny? " Iyesha asks. " I don't want my kids going with someone I don't know. "

" Iyesha... "

" Do your kids live with you? " Mom says.

My neck snaps to Mom. " Mama. "

" He's someone that actually comes around frequently. You should try it. " She smiles.

" Mom stop doing that! Iyesha he's my God-father. He's cool people. Mom just go ahead and finish setting up for us. Iyesha let's go out on the porch. " I pull her toward the door as she yanks away. She opens the door stomping out.

" Now you see first hand how she keeps disrespecting me. You never get her in check. "

" I keep telling you I can not put my mother in check. I can only voice to her how I feel. Both of you two keep giving each other attitude. We are going to eat, chat, and have a good time. "

" All of this because I want to know who my kids are with at all times. "

" Ken is a cool dude. I've known him since I was young before my Dad died. They were best friends. Ken has been around them a bunch. I meant to tell you that. Plus, your mother isn't exactly the nicest to me. "

" My Mother takes jabs not full out disrespects you. "

" Do you get her in check for that though? "

" No. "

" Okay then don't continue to use that term when telling me to talk to my mother. "

" Okay, I just want to remain in the know. " She sighs.

" You will be. " I pull her into me hugging her. " There they are. " I point to Ken's car pulling into the driveway. You could see the boy's little heads poking above the window. They waved and we waved back. I jog down the stairs to meet them. Ken opens his car door and steps out.