Reincarnated

(Carter)

Monica

"Plants receive protein from amino acids and get nutrients from the soil." I drew an example on the board as the students quickly tried to copy it.

"During this process the plants absorb dissolved nitrates from soil and convert them into free nitrogen then-"

"Aye Miss H slow down I barely got my name on my paper."

I playfully rolled my eyes. "I'll give you guys a minute to copy it down." I put the marker down and stood to the side.

I heard a tap on my door and when I opened it I saw it was Carter.

"Wassup baby." He leaned in trying to peck my lips but I stopped him with the palm of my hand.

"How did you get pass the front desk."

"I told the lady I was bringing you lunch." He had a chipotle bag and Starbucks frappe in his hands.

I took the bag and drink from his hands. "Thank you." I tried to shut my classroom door but his foot stopped me.

"You got a minute?"

"Im in the middle of teaching. And didn't I tell you last night I don't want to see you."

"Come on Mo. Forgive me. It wasn't my intentions. You know I never meant to put my hands on you, I'm sorry." He grabbed my face and made me look him in the eyes.

I sighed and looked away. "I can't forgive you that easy Carter. How will I know you won't do it again? All it took was me buying flowers for you to do that. Who knows what else will make you snap."

"Listen Mo. You know when I get a lil' alcohol in my system I don't handle it well. Trust me, it won't happen again."

"I'll see you later." I pushed his hand away from my face.

"Love you." He said as I closed the door returning to my class.

I put the food on my desk and picked up the marker.

"Sorry about that. Now where were we? Oh yea, plants."
*

*

*

It was fifth period and by now I was ready to go home and curl up in my bed.

"Photo-oxidation has dealings with plants and it functions as-" the bell caught me in the middle of my sentence and I couldn't be happier. I'd been teaching the same thing all day.

"Alright guys we'll finish up this lesson tomorrow. And don't forget quiz Friday." 

After the classroom was empty I took a seat and slipped my heels off my aching feet.

"Hey ma." Miracle came inside my room putting her things down and pulling up a chair. Every now and then she eats lunch with me on her break.

"Hey baby girl."

"Ouuu. Chipotle." She opened the bag.

"Uh excuse you!"

"Oh sorry. Was this for you?" She asked already taking a spoon full.

"Duh! But you can have it I don't really have an appetite."

I took a sip of my frappe and scrolled on my phone.

"Have you checked on dad lately?" Miracle questioned smacking on the food.

I sighed and moved all of my hair over to one side. "Yea. Still the same."

Miracle sighed as well. "How much longer?"

I shrugged my shoulders and placed my phone down rubbing my hands together. "We don't know. Comas can last forever but at some point they'll take him off life support."

"And after life support?"

"He dies."

Her head dropped and she covered her eyes. Seconds later I heard her sniffing. I placed my hand on her back. "It's okay. Your daddy will pull through. I know he will." I tried to stay positive to keep not only her but myself from crying.

She dried her eyes and stood up. "I need some air."

"You don't wanna take the food with you?"

"I'm not hungry anymore." She picked up her back pack and dance bag and marched out of the classroom.

I put my head down on my desk and shut my eyes.

"Come on three o'clock."

King

"Girl yes these twelve hour shifts are no joke."

"Tell me about it."

I heard laughter and chatting but couldn't view who. My eyes seemed to be glued down as well as my body.

The door shut and I heard the sound of feet trotting away. Each time I tried to move it felt like heavy metal chains were holding me back. I tried to take a deep breath but started choking on what feels like plastic.

My body shot up in an instant pulling out the tube that was shoved down my throat gagging on it in the process.

"What the fuck." I breathed heavily and looked around finally realizing I was in a hospital. I was surrounded by dead flowers, dozens of them.

Seeing my legs were hanging up in a leg cast I removed them slowly hearing them pop and crack like I haven't walked in ages.

My hands wrapped around the cords that were taped to my chest and ripped them off pulling out a few chest hairs. The monitor began beeping rapidly. I pulled the plug from the wall to shut them off.

I yanked the IV out of my arm and stood up quickly only to fall down. My legs were weak like I was a child just learning how to walk.

I stood up again knocking down a flower pot in the process of trying to keep my balance. I stumbled over the broken glass and made my way over to the bathroom. As I flicked on the light I was face to face with a man I didn't even recognize.

My once low cut had grown out into a shaggy afro. My small goatee was now a long beard. My skin was flaky and two shades darker. I swallowed hard looking at myself.

I bent down and splashed the cold water onto my face and rubbed my eyes. When I looked back into the mirror everything remained the same. I stood there thinking what the hell happened.

Limping back into the cold room I noticed something mixed inside the dirt and soil of the flower. A piece of paper that had numbers written on it. It was faded and hard to read.

I sat on the bed and picked up the phone that was on the table next to me. I squinted my eyes reading the number and dialed it. Hopefully it belongs to Monica so she can explain to me what the hell I'm doing here because at this point I had no clue.

"Hello." A familiar voice roared. I heard tropical music and laughter being played in the background.

"Hello?" I called out. "Who is this?" It was clear the voice belonged to a male.

"Nick. Who is this?"