Spilling The Beans

King

After spending most of the day shopping for my girls Nick and I decided to pay our mama a visit.

"Dang. It's been so long." Nick said as I pulled up in the driveway of our child hood house.

We got out the car and marched up the old brick steps that led to the front door. My hands shook knocking on the front door.

"You scared?" Nick teased.

"Me and ma ain't spoken to each other in almost eighteen years man."

The locks turned and mama slowly opened the heavy door. Her skin was wrinkled, her eyes were dark, the little hair that cancer didn't take was grey and you could tell she had porcelain teeth. It was safe to say she'd aged.

Folks say black don't crack but hers cracked all the way.

Her mouth covered. "Lord I died and went to hell." She said seeing Nick.

"No mama its me." Without even asking questions her arms wrapped around Nick. "Baby boy." Ma hugged him and shut her eyes smiling. "I missed you."

"I missed you to ma." Nick spoke kissing her cheek.

"Go on in. Jr's upstairs in your old room." Ma spoke referring to Nick's son. While Nick walked inside I still stood in the doorway not knowing to say.

Mama looked at me with eyes wide. "Come here King." She pulled me into her small arms and hugged me. I haven't felt my mother's touch in years and it felt good to be back in her arms. "I know we fell off and bumped heads years ago but I want you to know that I love you King. You'll always be mommas baby no matter what." She reassured and I felt her tears drop onto my shirt.

I almost started crying my damn self. "Now come on in." She lead me inside the house and looking around it hasn't changed a bit.

"Wassup Unc." Jr came down the stairs dapping me up.

"Wassup man. Looking just like your daddy."

Mama limped over to the couch. "There's food on the stove if you boys are hungry."

"Nah we ate earlier." I said.

"Shii speak for yourself. I'm still hungry." Nick went to the kitchen with Jr behind him. I shook my head.

Mama laughed. "That's all he ever did was eat. That's probably where Jr gets it from."

"Like father, like son."

We shared a laughed. "So ma. How are you? With the cancer and everything." I questioned rubbing my chin hairs.

She huffed slowly. "Doctors are surprised I'm still alive and breathing on my own. I was suppose to have died years ago. But it's a miracle i'm here."

I nodded and licked my lips.

"Let's not talk about me and my health. What's been going on with you."

"Nothing much."

Ma looked at me crazy. "Boy it's been years and years since we've talked and you gone sit here and tell me nothing? Shame on you."

I laughed.

"You don't have a lady at home? A family?"

I sighed and ran my hands over my hair. "Yea. I got a girl and daughter."

"Ouuu. What's the lucky lady's name."

I twisted my lips to the side. Either she forgot about Mo or didn't think we were serious back then.