7: Friend in need

Dylan appeared at my door ten minutes before noon. At first, I had forgotten that I promised him I'd help his friend move. I let him inside while I put on my shoes.

"You driving or me?" he asked.

I shrugged, 'Doesn't matter." he gave himself a moment to think before deciding he was going to drive.

I go into the passenger seat of his car, and he drove off. I watched out the window as Dylan was headbanging to Metallica. I should've driven.

Three times. Three times he almost drove us off of the road. I didn't remember him being that bad at driving otherwise I wouldn't have let him. I sighed of relief when he pulled up into a driveway of a beautiful light brick house. It was one floor but it looked spacious.

I opened up the door and jumped out. "Which friend is this?" I asked. One difference between Dylan, and I was the number of friends we had. He was friends with everyone. I'd like to say I'm friendly, but friends are few.

"Sam. He and Diane decided to start new."

"Oh okay," I replied and left it at that. He led us through the outer doorway. I stared at the columns trying to figure out which design it was. After deciding it was Tuscan, Sam opened the door.

I followed Dylan inside. "I brought my brother to help."

Sam turned to me, "Thank you, we appreciate it."

"No problem at all," I replied.

"Bye D'kota." Dylan slyly looked at me. "We're leaving you can move everything."

"Okay," I said. I hoped it was a joke, but knowing myself I'd probably do it.

"See, he'd do it."

Sam shook his head, "No Dly. We're not leaving your brother here. Plus how do you know he wouldn't like, burn everything of mine."

I held back a laugh, but Dylan didn't hold his back. "Look it was a joke. I wouldn't let him do all the work he'd get me back eventually. But trust me. You'd be safe. He'd ghost you before burning your stuff."

"True." I nodded. "I don't play with fire."

Diane came into the room. "Hi, boys, I'm so grateful you could find the time to help." She looked at Sam with so much adoration in her brown eyes and the way he looked at her, you could tell it was mutual.

The doorbell rang and Sam went to answer it. Dylan smiled at me, and it wasn't until after the guests came in that I knew why.

The jerk set me up.

Tatiana and her friend from the wedding came into the room we were standing in. She gave us a shy smile, I gave one back. Her friend, Emily, if my memory served correctly, smiled as well, but it matched the one of my brother.

She was playing the other side. They were both pulling the strings, and we were the puppets.

                                                                    Sam and Dylan were in the truck loading, the rest of us were stuck carrying the boxes to the truck

Sam and Dylan were in the truck loading, the rest of us were stuck carrying the boxes to the truck. We decided on an easier system, so it was Emily and Diane inside the house carrying to the front porch. Then Dakota and I carried to the truck. Emily and Diane were set on working together.

"How have you been?" I asked picking up a box. I knew I shouldn't. I should just let us move on and just keep this exchange silent. When Emily said we were helping her friend move I hadn't expected to see him there. I wasn't sure how I felt but seeing him again did feel nice, but it also drove that knife right back through my heart.

"Could be better, and you?" he replied.

"Meh. Life's life," I replied. But I didn't tell him what I've practiced that past few months. I just kept that part of my thoughts hidden and that was how I was going to keep it. I've made plenty of mistakes and many I continue making. But hurting him was the worst and I hoped and prayed every day that I never did again. But a part of me told me I already did by being here.

Sorry, it's been so long since I updated. I've had severe writer's block when it comes to my more romanticish stories. Plus I'm really insecure with the writing style I'm using for this particular book but I can't help but feel it needs a more unique approach but there's always room for more drafts and its much better than my first draft