28: The Letter

I furrowed my eyebrows slightly as I positioned my camera

I furrowed my eyebrows slightly as I positioned my camera. I tried to capture the shot perfectly but sometimes I wondered if even that would be good enough.

Snap. I didn't have enough time to look at it because I was paid to take multiple.

I continued snapping. I tried to capture some in multiple different moments. One of the family's reactions to the bride coming down the aisle. It's usually not requested but it's a nice photo to include.

The gig was over before I knew it, so I returned to the office.

"Tati!" Gigi waved me over, so I walked to her. "How did it go?"

"Well, they liked the photos so great."

"As always." she smiled. "Her dark hair was styled in a french braid.

"There was that one time." I began. She shushed me.

"We don't talk about that. It would've been nearly impossible to please that couple. The main thing is that you do a wonderful job and most people recognize that."

"I guess. Thanks for the pep talk." I shuffled my feet but tried to keep my head up. "Well, I gotta go. Have a good rest of the day."

"You as well."

Pulling my keys out of my purse, I walked towards the door. I picked up an envelope with my name on it on the way out and tucked it in my bag. I opened the heavy door and felt the wind in my hair.

My car was parked close enough to the entrance. I got into my car and glanced at my purse in the passenger seat.

Clearing my thoughts I turned up the radio and put the car in reverse. I could read whatever it was when I was comfortable on my couch. I decided it would be better if I stopped at the store instead of heading straight home.

***

After I finished putting the groceries away I grabbed the envelope. I flopped down on the couch and then tore it open. After reading it twice I rolled my eyes as I picked up my phone.

me:

Emily

Headache:

yes?? is everything ok?

me:

Did you send me something? Like at work??

Headache:

maybe? depends on if you liked it

me:

can you explain what it means?

Headache:

bold of you to assume i can remember that far. i sent it like a week ago. what does it say?

me:

congrats on your promotion. what promotion you ask? it's not for work. your life is about to get super interesting, you're welcome. contact me (aka your bestie) for details

Headache:

didn't send that

me:

Then who did?

Headache:

idk wasn't me though. i sent you a fake invitation to hell.

me:

Gee thanks. I can feel the love.

Headache:

btw that promotion thingy says to contact your bestie but i didnt send it so who the hell thinks they can take my place

me:

I'm confused too. Are you certain there's no way you did and forgot about it?

Headache:

i mean maybe but i only remember the thing i mentioned. maybe it was *cough*

me:

Maybe. They would know how to impersonate you in writing

Headache:

listen i gtg but ill message you a bit later and we can try to figure it out

me:

Okay, thanks. ttyl

I put my phone on the table in front of me and then tapped my fingers on the armrest. I used my other hand to run my fingers through my hair. Picking the paper back up I read through it again. It was typed so I couldn't try to decode the handwriting. It read as if Emily wrote it but if she didn't think she did I guess it must've been someone else.

Maybe it was a joke from one of my co-workers. Most of them have met Emily at least once and some of them multiple times. I decided it wasn't that important and put the letter on the table next to my phone, and then grabbed the remote.

I turned on the tv and looked through the channels. I clicked on something that looked interesting and leaned back in my
seat.

***

I was startled awake when someone knocked on my door. I got up and answered it. "Hey."

He shuffled his feet, "It's been a while."

"Yes, and if I remember correctly there was a reason for that," I answered before slamming the door.

Another knock. I ignored it and went into the kitchen. I grabbed a water bottle and drank. Another few knocks. I dragged my feet over to the door and opened it again.

"Yes?"

"I just wanted to talk."

"I don't."

"Then please just listen," he put his hand on the door preventing me from slamming it again. "I'm alone and I just wanted to talk to you, make you see my side of things."

"I'll listen but you're not coming in." I stepped outside and shut the door behind me. "You have five minutes."

My brother straightened his back and began to speak.