22: Disturbance

Congratulations were thrown our way for a while. As well as some couples pretending to be offended that they weren't picked. They all laughed with us as we pretended to be sore winners. The whole thing dies out around thirty minutes later, then we were left alone again. Well, as alone as you can be in a room full of people.

"Tea or coffee?" I asked randomly. He looked up from whatever he was staring at and shrugged.

"Coffee," he said after a moment. "Don't hate tea but I can't go a day without coffee."

Emily started to go back to the center of the room and I fought the urge to roll my eyes. I was in the middle of a conversation and he noticed everything. Didn't want him to think I was rolling my eyes at him. So I replied before she could interrupt. "I'm too indecisive to make a decision on the matter. I like coffee in the morning but can't sleep without a cup of tea."

"Good method," he replied. He moved his head slightly towards Emily. "What do you think she's up to?"

I opened my mouth to speak but Emily beat me to it. "So, I hope everyone is having fun. Unfortunately, I have to cut the party short. A neighbor informed me that they called the police because they're boring and hate Saturday nights apparently but anyway if everyone could leave before the cops get here it'd be great."

I held up a finger as I ran to Emily to let Dakota know that it'd take me a minute. As soon as I got over to her I waited a second before saying anything. "Why are you choosing to cut it short. We're not doing anything illegal, hell, it's barely a party there's low music in the background that's it. So what's really going on?"

We started walking towards the door. As she was waving to everyone leaving she filled me in. "She really did call the police. You know the one that has a major problem with everything. But she's not why I'm cutting short. Well, sorta. I want to make the cops think she's crazy when nobody's here when they arrive. You and Dakota can stay if you want it'd make it funnier if there's like two people." she chuckled at the last part. "But of course that's optional. Glad you two are talking though."

"That'll serve her right so I get it." I step off the small step leading out of her house. I looked in the distance to see if I could see anything in the distance. "I'll stay to help clean up."

"I appreciate it." We both walked back in. Dylan and Dakota were cleaning things up when we got into the main room. She took my hand and dragged me to the kitchen. She didn't say anything. Just stood there trying to comprehend what she saw.

"You okay, Em?"

"Yeah. Ugh if Dakota wasn't yours I'd be in love right now."

"He's got a brother," I laughed.

She didn't hesitate before replying with, "Ew,"

"That's mean," I laughed. "Speaking of, I'll definitely need your help tomorrow."

"Got a date?" she said.

I nodded, and my face grew hot. I felt like a was a teen again, it felt like this was my first date, my first love. Then again, he was my first love. I dated once before him when I was sixteen but it wasn't love. I knew it wasn't the first time I had truly fallen for someone. I learned the other guy was a safety net from my home, just a way to stay away from that hell. With Dakota it was different, I wanted to be with him for him.

" 'Bout time. You two need a show with how dramatic you're being," she rolled her eyes with a huge smile on her face. "Of course, I'll help."

"Thanks, so should we help them finish?" I asked.

"Yeah let's do that," she agreed and we both walked back to the living room. The room was mostly clean. Emily and I took the trash bags to the garage. She had a corner for them until the garbage truck came on Tuesdays.

Emily thanked them once we got back inside. They brushed it off saying they wanted to. Then Emily told them what she told me only this time she invited both of them to stay. I subtlety winked at her, and she glared at me in return.

Two cops showed up. It was obvious they weren't in a hurry, and only came cause they had nothing else. The neighbor was always stirring trouble and calling cops when she didn't get what she wanted. "Ma'am sorry to interrupt this late, we were called about a disturbance." The shorter cop said, addressing Emily.

"Oh, sorry about that. I just invited a friend and her boyfriend over. They brought his brother too but that's all that's happened."

"Sorry for wasting your time. It must've been a prank call. Have a good rest of the night." Then they walked away.

Moments later there was a knocking on the door. Emily got up from her seat and opened it up. She swung the door wide open as she always does for some reason. "Yes, Ms. Thompson?"

"Where's the party?' the woman demanded.

Emily waved us over. "This is my friend, her boyfriend, and his brother."

"No the party, I know you were having one."

"And this is the party, I can't stand large crowds of people, you should know that by now."

The woman threw her hands in the air and walked away. Then she came back pointing a finger. "Next time you won't get away with it."

"Not illegal," Emily replied. "But have fun." then she shut the door. She stood back to the door and mumbled under her breath. "I really need to move."

"No kidding," Dylan replied.

"Well, thanks for coming and staying for the clean-up, but I'm tired so goodnight," she said and left in a hurry.

Dylan turned to me. "So, Tatiana we kinda walked could you drop me off?"

"Sure." I looked at Dakota, "want to ride to?"

"Might as well. Thanks."

I walked into the kitchen and grabbed my keys. "Alright let's go."

I led them to my car. Dylan got into the back. I told Dakota to take the passenger. Dylan was dropped off first.

"Is she alright, she started acting a little strange at the end," he asked.

"I think so. She gets overwhelmed sometimes, especially when there's trouble. She feeds on it but gets overwhelmed at the same time,"

"Okay, as long as she's okay."

"Yeah, I'll probably check on her when I get home."

He didn't say anything after that. I glanced at him, the moonlight lit up his face, the tiredness apparent in his light eyes. A tired smile was on his face.

I pulled into his driveway. "See you tomorrow?" he asked.

I nodded, "definitely."

"Let me know you got home safely?"

Once again I nodded, "I'll send a message."

"Okay, goodnight," he said. He walked to his porch and sat on the step. I pulled out of his driveway, he waved and I waved back. When I was down the street I looked in the rearview mirror, he got up and went into his house.

I messaged him when I got home, he responded a few seconds later then I called Emily.

Chapter dedicated to @AmeraFeliz for asking about an update. It really encouraged me.