2: Life And Books

"Hey, D'kota. You still here?"

I shook my head violently to get out of my thoughts. "Yeah, yeah just got lost in thought. Sorry."

He didn't say anything at first. He looked around. Insecurities started to creep up on me. I wondered what he was going to say to try and nitpick. He was raised by our father after all.

"You have an eye for decorating." he finally said. "Like I know I've been here before but I just now took in the surroundings. It looks nice."

I shifted my posture, "thanks."

"I'm sorry about earlier. I just hate seeing you like this."

"It's fine." I paused, did I really want to continue? "I just don't want to find someone new. But I'll get over her. I promise."

"Don't make a promise you can't keep. I know how much she meant to you. But maybe it's time to move on. You'll think of her from time to time, that how it works when someone makes a mark on your life. But you have to turn the page and allow the book to continue going."

"Maybe you're right."

"Wait. Say that again?"

"For once. You may be right. But only once."

Dylan pretended to be hurt. He slapped his hand over his heart. "It was so nice, and you just have to turn it like that."

I smirked, "Did you expect anything else?"

"Not really."

I tried to take in his words. Let the book to continue writing, but what if the writer doesn't know what else to write. What then?

What if you can't move on because there's nothing after. Books don't always end with death. You just know that eventually, the characters die. But you don't know what they do after the book ends. You just know it ended for you.

"Ay, before I forget I have a wedding to attend Saturday, will you come?" he asked.

My face dropped, "It better not be like last time."

He rolled his eyes and forcibly laughed, "No. Nothing like last time. It's Sam and Diane's."

"Okay. Then sure. I'll come."

"I'll pick you up that way we can save time," he said.

I shrugged, "Sounds fine with me."

He looked up at the clock hanging above the kitchen entrance. "Dammit. I'm going to be late. I have to go. Remember Saturday." then he was out the door.

And I was left with my poisonous thoughts.

What are your thoughts so far?
I really don't know if I like the way this was written. I'll probably rewrite it once I finish.