Chapter Nine

My heart was pounding and I wasn't even the one playing. I was so nervous I felt as if the world was moving in slow motion. I could hear the faint sound of drums. I could hear people chanting for their teams. I could hear the players giving other each directions. I could hear my heart pounding. I felt as though people were calling for me. I couldn't recognize the voice but I knew someone was calling my name. I couldn't see anything though. The whole world was slow moving blur and I couldn't understand why this match was making me so nervous.

"Savannah!"

I finally snapped out of my daze and came back to life. My heart was still pounding though. I could defenitely hear drums playing now and as I looked to my right did I realize where the sound was coming from. There were people banging on these huge plastic garbage cans with wooden sticks. We were stading on the stage and right beneath us, the Lions were playing the Jauguars. In the finals. I could hear the LCS people, my people, chanting for the Lions. They had about 3 or 4 different chants but the one that people seemed to like the most was the "L-I-O-N-S LINCOLN LIONS ARE THE BEST! LET'S GO *clap clap" LIONS *clap clap*". The Jaguars on the other side of the MPH were also making their share amount of noise. Their main chant went like this "J-A J-A-G J-A-G-U-A-R-S! LET'S GO *clap clap* JAGUARS *clap clap*". I know their chant not only because they kept singing it repeatedly but because Jennifer made me learn it. Jennifer, Michelle and I, everytime the Jaguars were playing against some other team that wasn't us, we would chant for them just because Matt would turn around, look at us and wink. Jennifer nearly died everytime he did so, whilst Michelle and I just laughed at the whole situation.

"Savannah are you freaking listening to me?"

"Yeah sorry what were you saying?"

"I was just going to say Theo keeps looking at you"

"He's not even here Serena"

"Oh so that's not him over there?"

She pointed towards the main entrance and there he was. He was leaning against the wall joined by André one of his best friends. André was portuguese and very, VERY good looking as well. He was dating this girl named April though so shame. I stepped down from the stage and started heading towards him. He didn't see me until I was almost in front of him but when he did he flashed me one of those huge smiles and opened his arms. I gladly hugged him and he kissed the top of my forehead. When he finally let go of me I greeted André before turning my attention back to Theo.

"How are you?" he asked smiling down at me.

"I'm good and you?"

"Much better now" he said winking at me, "What time should I pick you up tonight?"

"Actually I'm getting ready with my friends so if you wouldn't mind I'll go with them?"

He looked a bit disappointed but I had already promised Nora and Serena I would get ready with them and then we would all go to the party together.

"I'm sorry it's ju-"

"No, no no it's fine really" He interrupted, "I'll just see you at the dance then"

"Yeah. Anyways I have to go now but I'll see you tonight" I kissed his cheek before walking away

The game kept going and it was getting as intense as ever. I don't think I've ever cheered so much for anything in my whole. To be honest, that was the first moment in my life that I felt like I really belonged. The world went back to a slow motion blur but this time I was able to enjoy it. I looked around and saw people from a million different nationalites coming together as one. I saw people that were so different from one another, people that wether we liked it or not had different costumes and beliefs than we did. People that at the end of the day would go home and speak in a different language with their families. I saw people from every corner of the world cheering to support one common cause. It didn't matter where we came from, or wether we even liked sports or not. It was that sense of belonging that came along with it. I looked around and I found myself smiling because I never felt like I truly mattered. We were all so different from each other, but here, none of us were home. Our only shot was to come together, and support each other to make London as comforting and homelike as we possibly could.