xii. Raise Hell

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

TWELVE HOW TO RAISE HELL

(ALTERNATIVELY: HOW TO DEFY)

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

       IT'S THE NIGHT before Christmas, and little lights brighten up their dorm room. It's past curfew but it's Christmas Eve, there's no way in hell that they're going to get into trouble for staying up late talking. Holly's migrated to Pansy's bed, resting her head on her best friend's shoulder as Tracey, Millicent, and Daphne share a bag of sweets.

       "I can't wait for tomorrow," says Daphne, grinning as she throws a jelly bean into her mouth. She winces, and she looks at the others. "It tasted of grass."

       "Lovely," says Holly, smiling softly. The clock on Daphne's bedside table is visible from where Holly's sitting, and she can see that it's fifteen minutes until Christmas Day. She can already feel giddy with anticipation for tomorrow. "And I mean, I know it's not a task, but it'll still look good if I look good at the ball — and Merlin, you guys."

       "Oh, dear," Pansy jokes, because she's seen the majority of Holly's stressing towards the ball. Immediately upon the arrival of her dress, a pretty white one, there was the realisation that she had to match with Harlow, and thus, Holly and Pansy sprinted from the hall to the dungeons in search of the boy.

       Since that, though, it's been smooth sailing. She knows what she's wearing, she knows what Harlow's wearing, and she knows that they can dance together, because she's insisted upon practicing. Everything seems to be falling into place — she even gained part of a friendship with Fleur, who asked her what she was wearing, since they're the two girl champions.

       Her friends, however, have been struggling, like the rest of the school, to find a partner to go with. For the most part they've latched onto their friends, like Pansy, who was asked by Draco a couple days after the announcement, and Pansy proceeded with a 'yeah, sure' and left in search of Holly, who she practically jumped onto as she announced her news. She's noticed, however, that not everyone's as lucky, since Holly's first choice was one of her best friends. She doesn't  fancy anyone. It's not like she's had to spend weeks finding the courage to ask.

       For example. She knows that Harry's been struggling to find a partner to go with, because of the amount of times she's walked into the common room and heard someone loudly scoff about how "Potter still can't get a date!" The last time she heard someone say that was yesterday, and although she would've loved to hit Montague around the head, she was standing next to Draco, who looked overjoyed at the fact that Potter was miserable.

       Holly, however, was not. She spoke to him earlier, when he and Ron were messing about in the library whilst Hermione finished some of the homework set. Apparently they're going with the Patil twins — Harry with Parvati, and Ron with Padma.