xxii. Margo Valen

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

TWENTY-TWO MARGO VALEN

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

       MARGO VALEN. Her name's a variation of another name, stealing the Margo from her maternal grandmother, a boring woman that couldn't tell the difference between Aestheticism and Romanticism. It is a name that has been thrown around frequently since September, ever since she showed up for the Quidditch try-outs, and blew them away, showing off the skills she had practiced tirelessly since she got her first broom, aged four. Sometimes, it's mentioned with the fact that her best friend is Atticus Malfoy, the so-called "Bad Boy" of Slytherin House. Other time it's whispered, about I heard she's in love with Malfoy (this is not true) and I heard Malfoy's in love with her (also not true.)

       Recently, it's been noted with another thing. She's the new Slytherin Quidditch captain, the old one got stressed over their N.E.W.Ts. The news broke to the rest of the school a few days ago, when the old captain called a meeting with the team and announced that Margo was taking over, that a fifth year was taking, a student barely sixteen years old was being handed the Slytherin Quidditch team, with the full intention of beating the other teams.

       And, of course, it travelled quickly, news always travels quickly in Hogwarts. The place is itching for any sort of gossip — from I heard so-and-so fancies so-and-so to I heard they plan to join the Death Eaters.

       Margo doesn't mind. She knows that people are talking about her more, now that she's become the captain. Let them talk. Let the next game in three weeks — the one against Gryffindor — gain an atmosphere of excitement, to see how the Slytherin team's working under a new captain. Let the Gryffindors be a little intrigued, a little concerned, they don't know what she's going to do, they don't know if she has any new tactics, if she doesn't. All they know is that Margo Valen — the school's so-called Queen Bitch — is running the team, and they have no clue what she's got up her sleeve.

       "You know, Regulus looked rather interested, didn't he, when poor Montague announced he was stepping down as captain," says Atticus, and he gives Margo a look. There's this one look, this terribly annoying look that she despises, the one she's titled Atticus is discussing Regulus Black. He looks smug, because he knows the little secret Margo's had for the past few months, ever since she walked back from Quidditch practice and somehow ended up walking back to the castle with Regulus, who had this pretty smile, and now, she can't get him out of her thoughts.

       "The meeting was supposed to be team members only," says Margo.

       Atticus shrugs. "Maybe I seduced Montague. Maybe I sat down and no one bothered to tell me to clear off. Maybe I hid behind the curtain," he says. Margo rolls her eyes at him, her hand holding onto her bag strap. It's one of the fancy ones, plain white dragon hide, that took two birthdays and Christmases combined to afford. "Speaking of seducing — Margo, dearest, when are you going to ask out Regulus?"