Part 58

• Dedicated to The D-Day Veterans

Dear Diary, 

This morning, I was woken by Kate and we got dressed. There was no noise as we were all so silent. I got dressed into my outfit. We then started speaking in the car to the airport. We set off on the private jet. The flight took just under 50 minutes. When we disembarked Kate and I held hands and we broke apart when we went to meet the veterans. 

I sat four seats along from Kate and I spoke with veterans. One of them was called Stanley Nelson and he was charming. He said to me: "Is that Jackie Kennedy you're wearing?" he pointed to my outfit. "It's a replica. How did you know?" I asked in shock. "I remember seeing her wear it on the television. She was a beautiful woman" he smiled. 

 The tea party was wonderful. We then set off for Gold Beach. We stood outside the D-Day Museum there with about 100 veterans and we paid our respects. I stood in the middle and I held Kate and William's hands. William actually sobbed a tear but he held it in. William also gave a speech. He described D-Day as 'that great and terrible day'.

And I will explain in his words. "Great, because it signalled the beginning of the end for the tyranny of Nazism. Terrible, because so great a number of young men and Frenchmen, women and children, here and elsewhere in Normandy, lost their lives". 

It was a wonderful day. And after we flew back to Paris we spent our final night in Paris relaxing in our massive lounge. You see Kate said we wouldn't be able to stay in Paris another night but I was very fine with it as I told her "The world is full of disappointments and I don't mind having to leave Paris. I would rather go back to London to see George again". Kate smiled and we hugged. 

In the lounge, I had a chat with Lilibet and we read a bit out of a history book about D-Day and I asked her one question. "Lilibet, you met JFK. What was he like? What was Jackie like?" I asked. Lilibet thought and he spoke. "Well he and Jackie were very pleasant. I admired Jackie's fashion and I admired JFK's looks and how he planned to shape America. I was saddened when I couldn't go to his funeral in 1963 but Phillip went in my place" Lilibet smiled. 

I felt happy. "Thank you" I smiled. "I see you are in a relationship with JFK's grandson John" Lilibet said. I nodded. "I am" I said. "He is a very appropriate boy. I approve of him very much" Lilibet gave me her blessings. I then spoke with Phillip and then I had a chat with Charles and Camilla before I headed back upstairs to pack my bags. 

For the trip to the airport, I picked out a geometric print silk shirt and some black tuck front crepe pencil trousers from Burberry and the black version of my L.K Bennett biege shoes. I was ready. 

Goodbye France!