Part 77

Dear Diary, 

It was a pretty quiet service of Order of the Thistle. Not as big as Order of the Garter. It was probably quieter because Kate wasn't there but crowds outside cheered when William and I got out the car. 

The Order of the Thistle is the highest award in Scotland and is only second in precedence in the UK to Order of the Garter. It honours men and women who have held public office in Scotland or who have contributed in a significant way to national life. 

Lord Smith of Kelvin and Earl of Home were given the award today. Lord Smith is a significant business figure in Scotland. He has been chairman of the organising committee for Glasgow 2014, since February 2008. Princess Anne, who was also at the ceremony was given the award in 2001 while William received his in 2012. 

I really hope I could get it someday. Anyway, we then attended a commemorative service at the Scottish National War Memorial at Edinburgh Castle. During the service, the Colours of the Highlanders, 4th Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Scotland, were brought into the War Memorial, (yes it's a building) where they were received by Prince Phillip and were laid up by the Chaplain General.

We then attended a reception in the Great Hall and then attended the dedication of a new memorial garden at the castle. The plaque was unveiled by Lilibet and the plaque was made from elements of metal used in the First World War. Later Phillip would attend a reception at Holyrood Palace but that time, I headed upstairs and took off my hat and my coat.

The worst part of today was in the War Memorial. The only noise that was to be made, was that of the procession. When they were speaking, you weren't allowed to talk. William, being a rebel whispered it to me. However I badly needed to cough but knowing I wasn't allowed to, as soon as I got into the palace, I coughed as much as I wanted. 

I phoned Kate and she was really pleased to hear me. At 5pm, we left the palace and departed from Edinburgh Airport in a helicopter for London. When I got back, I hugged Kate and she and I put my things away. I was worn out after a tiring day. 

Yours, Dayna