59. Snow Drift

The next morning when Steve awoke, there was a vacancy in the large expanse of bed beside him, nothing more than a dip in the mattress, crinkles and wrinkles in the sheets and remnants of bodily warmth from the radiating body that had been curled up there.

His eyes fluttered open like a butterfly beating its wings, his long feathery eyelashes parting to reveal the ice blue diamond orbs settled beneath, shining out in the strangely lit room. There was bright bleak white light illuminating the now bleary room, smudging across the walls with its dull colour and a silhouette drowned him where he lay in the covers, the shadow smothering him and leaving him in a dark patch.

It was quite obvious whose muscular shadowy figure was poised at the window, their shadow being cast dramatically across the bed spread like a shadow puppet show. His figure was blacked out in contrast to the white light pouring in through the rectangle.

"Morning Bucky," Steve hoarsely grunted, rising from the bed and supporting himself on his arms as he pushed up from the mountain of sheet piled on his incubator of a body, covering his chest.

"Morning..." Bucky retorted with a distracted voice, his mind preoccupied with the view before him.

Steve looked over to the replacement clock flickering on the bedside table. 6:36am, November 27th.

"What has you up so early, Buck?" Steve questioned, suspicious of his motives and curious as to what he was so mesmerised by.

"It's snowing..." He peacefully sighed, gazing out peacefully upon the city, wearing its winter coat.

Every high peaked roof was layered with a heavy crisp blanket of untouched snow and the streets were piled high with the thick fluffy mat, a mountain of white had settled like a film over every surface. Snowflakes whipped about in a frenzy and flipped frantically in the air as the raging wind blew the icy clusters about, greying out the darkened sky with its stormy haze. The air was filled with snowflakes, pouring from the heavens like it was being unleashed by the bucket load, like confetti escaping the sky or blossoms leaving the branches of a tree.

The distance was obscured by the blustery snowstorm that swirled on. New York City was caught in a snow storm. The big freeze had been a long time coming with every blade of grass and every tree having been frosted over every morning they had awoken for the past month, frozen solid and sparkling in the freezing sunlight. When it got cold in New York, it got really cold.

"It's-" Steve stammered to a stop and blinked rapidly, awakening his drowsy mind with the sudden jolt of movement. "It's snowing?" He rubbed at his eyes, wiping away the icky residue that had gathered there and pushed off his covers and moved to the window.

His guided hands sneaked around Bucky's broad bony hips and he cuddled him intimately close, pressing his bare heated chest to Bucky's clothed back, his packed out bristling muscles curving to fit against the arch of his boyfriend's back. The pure heat from his chest was like the flame of a candle, intense and enough to induce sweat, he was like a bonfire and kept Bucky warm in their draughty cool flat. The cold appeared to be infiltrating their building and frost had already crystallised in an intricate glistening formation on the condensation smeared window pane.

Bucky hummed happily as he felt the warmth pass from Steve into his own body, spreading through him as Steve cuddled him close and he placed his hands over the ones that Steve had resting on his abdomen.

"Can I suggest something completely ludicrous?" Steve began, eyes twinkling as the hazy white light from the windows stroke his irises.

"Be my guest..."

~

Bucky sat in the damp patch of fresh snow, his now soaked bottom sinking through the compacted snow that was compressing beneath his arse, his heart was racing at a million miles per hour and he tried to silence his loud rasping breathing with a gloved hand over his mouth, but he still snarled through his nostrils as he scrambled to reclaim his breath. His back was pressed stiffly to a tree as he tried to hide in its dark shade, trying to keep himself hidden from his stalker, but there was barely ten metres between them. His breath billowed in a foggy cloud before his face, clouding his vision a little further and giving away his position.