115. Steve

"Get up," Ward barked at Bucky who was curled into a tight ball In his cell: his chin tucked down to his sternum and his legs bent up to his chest. Still his arms were cuffed up behind his back, chained and disabling his arms and hands.

Bucky's eyes were owlish and intrepid and dismay surged through his system as he jerked his head up to attention. Pain still sharp in isolated sections after he had been put through surgery to fix the replaceable and patchable areas of his body, he scuffled to his feet.

Grant muscled into the cell, thrashing the cell door against the wall as he threw it open. He took grip on Bucky's human bicep, squeezing it with a grasp to tight it could terminate his blood circulation.

"No blindfold or gag?" Bucky inquired, struggling against Grant and trying to retain some room to move.

"Not this time, we're taking you to-"

That's when a siren began distantly warping and the lights throughout the base became to blare, flashing and rotating in red. Sirens on Bucky's floor began to emit the same offensive sound, a deafening wail that made him grimace: he felt like his ear drums were going to pop at the sheer volume of the sound, he could feel them straining as they tried to contain the sound being transmitted.

"What's going on?" Bucky growled to Ward.

"Someone's infiltrated the base," Grant hissed, cursing his luck and scolding the circumstances.

"Steve," Bucky whispered to himself, the thought making his heart flutter and sparked hope in his heart. There was a scintillation in his eyes as an incandescent eye-lighting thought crossed his mind. For the first time in five days, Bucky cracked a smile. The hell he'd suffered was coming to an end as far as he was concerned.

"Not on my watch," Grant growled to him and began dragging to away.

"It's useless... You can try and put me elsewhere... You can lock me up... You can hide me away... You can bury me, but he'll get to me wherever you put me," Bucky flaunted smugly. "Go on, drag me down to the basement, and see that he'll find me..." Bucky hissed, smugger than ever.

"Good luck with that... It won't be long until you can't remember him," Grant grunted, tugging him away.

Bucky feet were trying to shuffle in the opposite direction and he struggled against him. "I won't let you..." He struggled, fighting back. "Steve!" He screamed at the top of his lungs, throwing his head back. "Steve!"

Grant clamped a hand over Bucky's mouth from behind, suppressing the exclamations and ceasing the ear-rattling racket. Bucky chomped down on his fat fingers, gnashing with as much force as he could muster. Grant whipped his hand away and spewed vulgar expletives. Bucky flicked his head back and head-butted Grant in the nose.

Whilst Grant was recovering from the blow he attempted to run down the corridor. Seconds later he was pounced on and felt the weight of the other man crushing him. His head collided with the floor and he could only thrash like a beached wish and whine as he tried to wriggle free.

Grant tangled his hands in Bucky's long hair, having grown amidst the duration that they'd been on the run and tugged hard, before slamming Bucky's forehead back into the floor again.

"Steve!" Bucky throatily yelled.

~

Steve felt his ears burn as the shout reached his ears - the gravelly cry echoing through the facility.

"It's him. It has to be him," Steve certified.

Steve charged down the corridor he was faced with, Sam trawling behind trying to help keep the pace. They were yet to be confronted.