63. Without You

"Hey Stevie!" Bucky called up the stairs, leaping up the mountain of steps until he arrived at the door to their shoddy two bed, one bath apartment.

The wretched crooked door swung open on its weathered hinges to reveal that skinny little sack of bones waiting for him.

"Good day?" Steve sung like a bluebird, a pleased grin across his face as he spotted his buddy making an appearance at the top step.

"If I'm honest... Not so great..." Bucky remarked, strolling into the dingy damp apartment, holding his jacket over his back, pinched at the collar, the material swinging free.

"No?" Steve's positive expression suffered, his smile turning into a brief glimmer of a grimace.

"Nah... It's not unusual. A lot of the guys are being made redundant, so we might have to make some contingencies for the winter, you know? I don't mind not getting presents this year around. We just need to revaluate some of our expenses and try living with a little more austerity." He draped the flaccid soggy trench coat over the back of the chair and flopped in it, resting his arm on the table as he spoke to Steve.

"No," Steve disagreed, shaking his head obstinately.

"What do you mean no?" Bucky scoffed, not catching on.

"I mean, you've been working damn hard all year and there's no way I'm not buying you Christmas presents!" He complained, rather toughly for a guy of his height and breadth. "Are you kidding me?" His hands were sternly fixed to his hips and his brow scrunched in discontentment.

"Look, it'll just be for this year... It's not exactly like I need presents. Is it?" Bucky pulled a 'get real' face at his flatmate, cocking his head and staring challengingly at him.

"No. No way!" Steve shook his head. "Let's not kid ourselves into thinking I've earned my fair half of the rent. You're the one who does all of the working-"

"Steve... That's not true!" Bucky disagreed instantly. "That's not fair!"

"No! No it's not. It's not fair that you should have to take on the lion's share of the living costs, that you should have to pay for the pair of us," Steve continued righteously.

"Look, I don't mind... It's fine... I get it. Your illnesses and body type make you far less eligible for jobs than me. It's not your fault or your problem!" Bucky disagreed, throwing a tantrum.

"You shouldn't have to suffer because of me! That's the bottom line!" Steve shouted at him, throwing his tiny stick-like body forwards to yell at him.

"Pal, I don't mind... This will benefit the both of us. It's just one year..." Bucky rose slowly from the seat and wandered towards Steve, who was still fuming with rage over it. "Christmas isn't a big deal for me anyway. I grew up without Christmas in that orphanage remember?" He approached Steve, with kind approachable eyes and smiled down at the poor little fella.

"That's exactly why you should have Christmas now!" Steve complained, whining like a dog. "I can go out and get another job or something! I can find a way to make this work!" He pleaded with Bucky, craning his neck to stare up at the significantly taller man.

"You and I both know that's not realistic... Since the crash the job market is in freefall. Even if you did, where would you get the hours? You've barely got a spare hour as it is..." Bucky reasoned with him rationally, trying to give him some perspective on the whole ordeal.

"We'll find a way, Buck... We always do..." His solemn gaze fell to the floor.

"Come here you little punk," Bucky teased, pulling him into a colossal hug, being careful not to crush his flimsy little body in his muscular arms.