98. Thread By Thread

It was freezing in the house, and the night only got colder as it progressed. Ice webbed across the remaining glass in the windows, in stringy splintering strands, slowly creeping across the entirety of the exterior. The air became so cool that Steve and Bucky’s breath transformed into a weightless white cloud of fluffy mist as it left their lungs.

Their serum induced higher metabolism did wonders for keeping them that bit warmer, but the cold still made them uncomfortable, and they clung to each other for heat. Steve’s arms were wrapped around Bucky’s middle and Bucky snuggled into Steve’s chest, clinging on tightly for warmth.

“New York was never this cold… Not even back in our old house… This is beyond freezing…” Bucky murmured through chattering teeth, yanking the lapels of his leather jacket around him, tightening the material over his chest.

“I know, buddy… I know… You’ll be alright… Just don’t go dying of exposure on me,” Steve joked macabrely, kissing Bucky on the top of his head.

“I never thought you’d be the one keeping me warm though… Oh, how the tables have turned,” Bucky giggled wearisomely, rubbing his bare hands together, building up friction between his palms and them placing them on his heated neck.

“Me saving you seems to be happening a lot lately…” Steve reminded him, rubbing his hands up and down Bucky’s arms, trying to keep him warm.

“Don’t you dare stop.” Bucky smiled against Steve’s shoulder burying his face in the crook of Steve’s neck.

“So long as you promise to keep returning the favour,” Steve muttered close to Bucky’s ear, kissing him on the temple. “You should get some sleep,” Steve said on a less cheerful note. “We don’t know what we might be required to do tomorrow… We don’t know who or what could be hiding around the corner.”

“What about you?” Bucky’s innocent blue eyes met with Steve’s, concerned for Steve. “You need your sleep too, babe…”

“I can keep watch for a bit… Just in case. I’m just not entirely trusting of this place, yet,” Steve admitted, his eyes scanning the dark creaking interior, his forehead creased discerningly.

“I don’t blame you… Are you sure you don’t want me to watch for a while? Or we could take it in turns?” Bucky suggested, half-smiling at his boyfriend, his face drowsy and his expression vague.

“I’m good. I’ll probably drop off eventually.” Steve batted a hand and gave a coy edgy smile.

“If you’re sure, then I can’t desuade you. But I’m doing watch tomorrow, no debates,” Bucky told him firmly. He raised his head and pecked Steve on the cheek. “Sweet dreams, my guardian angel, night…” Bucky snuggled down, drowning in Steve’s arms, burying himself in the body entrapping him.

“Night, Buck… I love you.”

~

Steve was awoken the next day by Bucky squirming like a slippery snake in his clutching arms to escape, just shrugging Steve off him. Steve blinked open his eyes lazily, his vision slightly hazy, but then his sight zoned in on Bucky.

“Morning, Bucky…” Steve groaned in a dreary voice, his throat dehydrated and his brain still in start-up.

“Morning, gorgeous,” Bucky replied, his attention raptured by Steve’s mesmeric voice. “I didn’t mean to wake you up, honey.” Bucky grimaced guiltily, chomping on his lip habitually. “I was going to try and sneak out and get us breakfast. I’m no expert, but I don’t think there’ll be anything in here. Well, perhaps a few maggots rotting in the fridge, but I don’t think that’s particularly nutritious…” Bucky smirked and gazed elatedly at his boyfriend who was so caught in a daze that he didn’t catch a single syllable.