67. White Christmas

Bucky awoke in a leisurely manner, awaking on his own accord as opposed to being scared awake by one of his horrific nightmares; it made a nice change. A strange feeling was stirring in his knotted gut, a tight tense anticipation and a tingling excitement, burning across his cool skin a churning in his belly. Something was wrong... but right.

Steve was sound asleep in the bed next to him, his face expressionless and his beautiful eyes concealed away beneath the luscious long eyelashes curling just below his eyelids. His plump bottom lip protruded a little more, too heavy in his sleep to remain perfectly in line and his cheeks were brightened with a small flush.

Then he remembered what day it was, the realisation made his eyes swell and his heart stutter before it was sent racing. He glanced over at the digital clock: December 25th, 4:36am.

"Steve..." He said in a baritone gruff voice, throaty and low at the early hour. "Stevie..." He whispered, cupping his face delicately with a sticky warm palm and pressing a sweet loving kiss to his lips and stirring the man snoozing beneath him to life. He barely managed to carry out the implication without being clumsy, frantic with energy and excitement.

"Bucky..." Steve mumbled hazily, smiling dopily with his eyes still shut, wrinkling at the corners as he smiled lazily up at him. He leaned forwards and stole another kiss from Bucky's lips, just brushing them clumsily, disorientated by his drowsiness.

"Stevie... You need to wake up," Bucky whispered impatiently, placing another careful kiss on his forehead and then brushing Steve's flushed cheek with the back of his fingers, caressing the heated flesh.

"Why?" Steve grumbled in a breathy voice, pouting lightly and his eyes fluttered open gracefully, revealing his stunning ocean blue eyes beneath, even in the dark they blazed like magnificent sapphires.

"It's Christmas!" Bucky shrieked with excitement, biting down on his bottom lip and grinning.

Steve's expression quickly changed, his eyes sharpening and his pupils drawing into pin-pricks and an expression of realisation overcoming him. "So it is..." He chuckled merrily to himself, grinning up at Bucky who was peering over him smiling brightly like an excitable child.

"C'mon!" Bucky whined pitchily, grabbing Steve's arm tightly and tugging it to try and jerk him awake. "I haven't had Christmas for 70... No, 71 years! I can't wait a moment longer!" He complained, trying to guilt trip Steve to motivate him a tad, slightly cruelly, but ultimately not that damaging.

Steve rolled his eyes tiresomely, still smiling through his exhaustion and hauled himself out of the bed, lumbering out of the tangling ensnaring covers, lugging his heavy misguided feet across the ice cold wooden floor and forcing his weary limbs into action. He trudged slowly behind Bucky, yawning and stretching out his cramped limbs as he stumbled his way into the dimly lit living room.

It was pitch black apart from the red and green lights flickering on and off on the tall Christmas tree, hanging limply off the fuzzy thin wiry green boughs of the false fir tree. The lights glinted colourfully of the fluffy silver tinsel gracing the green coat of the fake tree.

Steve felt about against the wall until he tripped the switch and illuminated the blacked out room. Both boys scrunched their features up at the intrusive bright light and fought to keep their eyes open at the unwarranted bleary assault on their unadjusted eyes.

"Presents?" Steve questioned patiently, nodding towards the stack stashed beneath the tree, with shiny wrapping paper of all designs and colours, just about crammed into the compact space.

"I thought you'd never ask!" Bucky squeaked.

The two of them sorted out the presents into two glorious mountains of plunder. One for Steve, one for Bucky, both equal in grace and size, both toppling and turning with unbalance.