The Return

Derek's POV

I woke up, remembering the first date me and Kat had last night. It's funny how much you can learn about a person. Kat doesn't really watch tv, she can't sleep alone, and she likes the stones. But she has to confess she's a little obsessed with Supernatural. She's kinda like a scene in a movie, I can hear music when she speaks.

I'm really trying not to screw this whole thing up. The pack comes back today. Early arrival. I wonder why? Beats me, maybe the other pack fixed whatever their issue was.

Katerina's POV

I woke up with butterflies in my tummy. He's changing. He's really trying, and dang I'm falling hard. That's when it hit me. Today the pack comes back! Today Derek would announce me as Luna hopefully! I can't wait to tell the others!

"Katerina! The pack is here." I smiled at his voice. "Okay be there in a minute." I sniffed the air to find Vince's scent, along with my family's, Collin's, Layla's, etc. sadly I only picked up Collin's and Layla's. Stupid nose.

That's when another smell hit me. Blood. I sprung up out of my bed and ran downstairs. "Mom! Dad! Vince!?" Everyone's eyes looked up at me. Some eyes contained tears others mixed emotions.

But when they saw me, all their eyes showed, sorrow, guilt, etc. I looked over at a pained Derek, he was getting information from the Beta. "Derek?" I said, well whimpered mostly.

He looked at me and started to walk towards me. Then he kissed me, deeply and passionately. This time our tongues roamed each others mouths, everything around us disappeared. When we broke the kiss we were both breathless. I was smiling like an idiot.

I opened my eyes to see Derek, his eyes still shut. He must have felt my gaze cause his eyes flew open, except now they weren't pained, and full of love. No they were emotionless. "Go find Layla. She'll explain everything. Don't forget I love you. Okay?"

My heart pounded he had said he loved me! I smiled wider if that was even possible. "Okay." I replied. He dropped his hands from cupping my cheeks, then he walked away. As he was walking I screamed, "Derek!?" He looked behind.

"I love you too." He smiled a small sad smile. Then hung his head low and walked. As soon as he was out of sight, Layla came up to me. Her eyes were full of tears. "He didn't tell you did he?" Layla wouldn't meet my eyes. "No he didn't." Layla just shook her head.

Then she explained, something that permanently destroyed me. "There was a war, that's why they needed us. We fought very hard, and ended up winning, but there were some casualties." No no no. I knew what she was going to say next, I wanted to run, run away from the truth. But I couldn't I stayed there rooted to my spot, tears streaming down my cheeks. "The only ones you really need to know about are your parents, they are gone. I'm sorry. Also Vince died I'm s-" That was all she got out I dropped to the ground.

I sobbed. I was done. I layed there on the ground, crying. Layla was standing and screaming apologies. I saw Aaron pick her up and take her away. I just kept laying there. Numb. I then felt two arms pick me up. I smelled Collin. "It's okay, maybe not now, but it will be." That's all he said. I heard no emotion in his voice, which pained me even more.

Collin was an upbeat guy, the only time he showed no emotion, was when it was really bad. He turned into my room and layed me on the bed. Then he left. No more words. Just me. Sitting there crying. I hated myself for not being there. I could've saved them!

But alas I was here falling in love, not a care in the world.

Where was my mate?

The thought quickly left my mind, as I shut down. The next few days went by in a blur. Collin would bring me food, and not talk. Then Layla would come in and take the tray of food away (I lost 15 pounds through this. Needless to say I looked bad.) She would also apologize, I wanted to hug her, but I just couldn't right now. This went on for about 9 days. "Okay get up now!" It was Lucas. I didn't say anything.

"I'm not watching you kill yourself slowly! Collin comes out of this room every day and cries! He never freaking cries! Jesus Kat! Don't you see what you're doing to all of us?! This silence is killing us too! We lost people too! I mean Jonathan is gone! He left because he found his mate there, but she died in that war. So he just walked out on us! My best friend! He's gone! And all you can do for your friends is worsen everything! Stop being so selfish!"

That was all he had to say. I was being so stupid. People needed me and I just shut them out. "I'm sorry, I know you lost people too. Do me a favor and help me up?" Jonathan gave me a small smile and helped me off the bed. "You wanna go take a shower?" I nodded.

He walked me to the toilet by the shower. "I'm gonna go get Layla for this." He gave a nervous chuckle. I just smiled at him. "KAT!!!" Layla screamed and ran to me hugging me. I hugged her back happy to have her back.

"I'm sorry!" She said. "You have nothing to be sorry about." She smiled and sat on the floor infront of me. "He loved you ya know?" She said as she put a cigarette in her mouth and lit it. When did she start to smoke?! "Want one?" I nodded.

I heard its suppose to relieve stress, here goes nothing. "Who loved me Layla?" She smiled a sad smile and shook her head. "Vince." I broke all over. But this time I just took a long drag on the cigarette. "It was just a crush." This made her laugh. A cold hard laugh.

What had happened to my upbeat goody two shoes friend? You did. The war did. She needed you. A voice said in my head. "A crush?! Is that why he died trying to save your parents lives?! He freaking loved you! I was almost positive he would've rejected his mate for you! And you, you just used him. Although you liked him, he loved you. And here you were falling for your mate! Who's probably at the club again!" She screamed.

"He tried to save my parents?" My voice came out small and fragile. Which made Layla look at me, realizing what she had just said. "Oh sweety I'm sorry! This war, this loss, it's changed me." I nodded. Looking down at my feet. "What'd you mean he's probably at the club again?" Regret and pity flashed through her eyes. "He's back to his old ways. Ever since we came back. It was the war. And you shut down. He stayed strong for a day. Then well you know." Yet again the breaking feeling coursed through me. "Why would he do this?!" She shrugged. After that she helped me take a shower.

When I got out we got me into some clothes and walked out. And boy did I regret it. There came a drunk Derek walking down the hall. A beer in one hand and a slut in the other. For a split second I saw the pain flashing through his eyes. Then it was gone. Replaced by a cold expression.

What had happened to my Derek?

-----------

Sorry guys! But their relationship happened to easily. R.I.P Vince 💔 I cried writing this chapter. Silly me. Don't worry you have to go through the rain to get the rainbow. :)