eight

Hoseok groaned as he stirred awake

Hoseok groaned as he stirred awake. His head hurt like shit, and he just wanted the pain to be over with. He cracked his eyes open and stared at the ceiling, thinking he was in his own room.

He twisted the blankets off his body and pressed his feet against the cold, wooden floor. Then, Hoseok remembered he had carpet.

His eyes opened wide, ignoring the crust around it. He knew that wooden floor. He saw that same wooden floor every day for a year.

He rubbed his eyes as he walked out of Gyuri's room. He explored her apartment, even though he knew it very well. It was like a wonderland to him. He hadn't been in her apartment for a month. Nothing really changed. She changed the rug in her bathroom and had a vase on her living room table.

"Gyuri?" he cautiously asked out loud as he approached the kitchen.

Gyuri dropped the pan she was holding onto the stove. It clattered loudly, and she was grateful the eggs didn't spill over. "Good morning, Hoseok," she softly greeted. "There's some aspirin—well, you already know where I keep my pills."

He nodded and walked over to the cabinet where she always kept her pills and emergency kit. He numbly took out the pill bottle that rattled in his hand. He rattled out two pills and popped it into his mouth. Gyuri handed him a glass of water and he gladly drank from it, the pills falling smoothly down his throat.

"I made breakfast. Your favorite—egg omelets with a face drawn on." Gyuri smiled as she showed him the pan.

Hoseok felt his lips tugging up as he eyed the picture of a teddy bear she drew on with ketchup. "You remembered?" he softly asked.

Gyuri gave him a pained smile, though he wasn't looking at her. "Of course. It's only been a month."

"Why did you leave me, Gyuri?"