nine

Gyuri turned her head away and coughed

Gyuri turned her head away and coughed. "Why don't we have breakfast? It's a nice Friday morning, after all."

Hoseok knew she didn't want to talk about it. He wanted to, but he was too afraid of the response she would give him.

Hoseok sat on her sofa and started eating his omelet. She didn't have a dining table, and they would always eat on the sofa while watching the television.

"It's good," he mumbled.

"It's not too salty?" Gyuri questioned.

"No, it's..." He refused to say the word 'perfect,' but it really was perfect to him. "It's great. It tastes amazing."

"I'm glad to hear that. How's your headache? Is your throat okay?"

"I'm fine, Gyuri. Really, I am. Thanks for..." There was another thing he didn't want to say. He didn't want to say 'thanks for worrying about me.' "Thanks for asking."

"No problem."

The two ate in silence, the only sounds coming from the television. Hoseok took a couple more bites until he couldn't handle how awkward and quiet it was.

"Why did you leave me?"

It was just like last night, except Hoseok was much soberer.

"You wouldn't understand," she whispered.

"I don't understand right now, Gyuri. Please explain it to me."

Hoseok set down his plate and Gyuri did the same.

"Hoseok, you'll hate me for this."

"I could never hate you, Gyuri. Have you seen me after you broke up with me? I was a mess without you. I still am," Hoseok admitted.

"I...felt guilty."

"About what? Gyuri, what did you feel guilty about?" Hoseok asked urgently as if his time on earth was running out.

"Why don't we go to the park we had our first date at? I think we'll be able to breathe a little more freely and we can even stop by the café on the way back."