18

Sorry.

M

English class with one of my favorite aunts. I'm not really listening but I think she's talking about 1930s symbolism and the great depression.

"Haha just like Michael!" I hear someone shout. Funny. I saw Mrs. Murphy walk to the desk behind mine.

"That was not very nice Richard!" "Ooh you're in trouble!" "Shut up Jake."

She walked back up to the front, grabbing a box of books from the desk, "Now today we'll be reading 'Of Mice and Men' by John Steinbeck. Don't read past chapter 2- watch how Lennie is portrayed as an anima-"

I really couldn't concentrate. I couldn't help but notice all of the computers lining the side of the class room were empty save one. One that sat Mrs Reynolds.

I could only see the corner of the screen- but from the looks of it she was posting something on a social media. Absolutely none of my business of course.

I flicked through the first two chapters- I'm a quick reader compared to half of the kids in this class. Most of them are on their phones anyway- I guess I'll see the posts later.

"Hey Rich, look at this." "Holy shit!"

I wonder what shocking they've found. Probably a stupid meme or something- nothing to note. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket so it must be good. I carefully slipped it in front of my book so no one could see.

A notification. That's all it took. I can't. This isn't- isn't real. It can't be real. Who took the picture? Why-

Zoe was sitting on a staffroom chair, and Pa was leaning down and- and kissing her. That's- it's not real. It's not real.

"What's so surprising, hm? I doubt it's the book." I glanced up- scared she noticed me but it was just Rich.

He stood up slowly and placed his phone on the desk, "Mrs Murphy, when were you gonna tell your wife?"

"Rich sit down- what?"

"When were you gonna tell her you were cheating on her with Mr Hansen?"

"Richard! That is a very serious accusation! Not to mention it's untrue!"

"What's this picture then?" He put his phone up to show her and the horror on her face was raw and real. I couldn't read it; it could have been horror that someone found out or someone forged it but I didn't trust my intuition at that moment.

She sat down in shock and the bell went. I'd normally wait behind but I couldn't face Zoe right now. I needed to find one on my Dads.

C

What the fuck. I could feel anger boil inside me as I saw that photo on my computer.

I had a good class this period but there was that one that was on their phone and it spread like wildfire. Only, they don't know it has anything to do with me so I can't let it show.

"Sir, I'm sorry."

"About what? I'm just disappointed in Mr Hansen and Mrs Murphy. Mrs Beck and his husband won't be happy."

"Oh, al-alright then."

Then the bell went and I sat there for a second before there was a knock on the door.

"Connor, I-"

"I can't believe you." I wasn't crying. Probably because I felt so distraught and betrayed it was just- just empty. Empty.

"Connor, I've never kissed anyone else but you."

"That's not true though, is it!? I trusted you! I loved you!"

"And I love you! I would never do that to you!"

"I- I need some time."

"Connor, please. Believe me! Connie-"

"Don't 'Connie' me. I'm going home and I won't be there when you get back. I need time to mull things over. I need time to hurt."

I feel a little laugh bubble in my throat, "I guess soulmates was bullshit after all. My sister's damn persistent, it wouldn't have stopped at a kiss."

I could hear his sobs and it tore me up but he didn't deserve my sympathy. I didn't look at him on my way out. I saw a hunched red figure running through the empty parking lot.

Michael. Oh god not Michael. He must have seen it. He must have heard everything. He must be so torn.

I feel so empty it's surreal.