24

This, 25 and the epilogue and it's over and I'm kinda sad about that.

M

My sleeves were pulled up to my elbow while I wrapped my arms. What a stupid idea. Why did I-

Jeremy. Jeremy loves me. Jeremy loves me!

A squeak burst from my throat as a smile breached my face.

I couldn't roll my sleeves down because of the tight cuffs. Shit. Oh well.

I walked downstairs slowly and quietly, "Micha! Oh thank god!" I saw my Pa rub his eyes as I walked into the kitchen.

"I need to go." Pa looked at me with hollow eyes, Dad just stared straight at me.

"No, Micha, baby, we have to talk about thi-"

"It's okay, Ev. I'll drive you, Michael."

He nodded at me and grabbed the keys. I ran into the basement, opening the mini fridge.

We got into the car and Dad sped to school. I was in hurry undoing my belt and getting the door open. I whacked my arm on the doorframe and hissed in pain, running into the foyer.

Backstage, backstage, backstage.

The door was heavy so I used my back. I could see stage hands running around looking terrified while the lighting crew was shouting at eachother.

I felt for the bottle in my pocket, grabbing it. It's now or never, "Michael! Call Michael!"

I burst through the small side door to the stage, "Michael makes an entrance!"

"Michael!"

I just got here, but by the looks of it, this is really good for a school play. This looks WAY too good for a school play. They've all been squipped, right?"

"You came."

"Even brought my own refreshments." I held the bottle up above my head. Go big or go extra.

"Is that-"

"Mountain Dew Red. I told you I did my research."

"That's amazing! Give it to me!"

He looked up at me with bright eyes. I'm extra- I'll make him suffer.

"Okay. Wait. No."

"But I need it!" My heart always skips a beat when he uses that voice. No.

"And I need an apology. I think that's in order, I mean, you treat me like I don't exist for months, blow me off when I try to help you-" He cut me off. Son of a-

"Fine! I'm-"

Vocal cords: block.

"Sa- Sr- S-S-S-"

"Seriously? Is it that hard to say sorry?" Why can't he just say that word?

"Yes! Come on man, this is important!"

"Well, this is important to me!"

"It's a word!"

"It's a gesture! Gestures matter!"

Kung Fu fists: activate.

"This is so you! You love to feel superior, just because you listen to music on vinyl and eat eel in your sushi and don’t care about being popular!" That hurt. That really hurt.

"Of course I care! I just know it’s never gonna happen!" He took a swing at me.

"So you resent me because I wouldn’t give up like you did?"